Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

is an 87 tune worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is an 87 tune worth it?

I just got a new truck, did the exhaust, am either getting a volant or MIT and am curious, since I got rid of my WRX partially because I had to run 91, and would not like to have to run it in my truck, is an 87 octane tune even worth it? With gas approaching 3$ a gallon in socal, it is just not an option for me right now, so let me know what ya guys think.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if it's an '87 Grand National.....
Old 04-10-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

More power can be found on HPP3 with the 87 tune then the 93 tune for us here in Cali because we only have 91 available. Used programmers are cheap and plentiful now-a days and power is with an 87 tune.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

so if I do a handheld tuner, isn't the predator better than the Hpp3?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03rado
so if I do a handheld tuner, isn't the predator better than the Hpp3?
MUCH better. But its more expensive and you'll be hard pressed to find a used one.

They only draw back to the predator is the price. For not much more PC based tuning software can be purchased.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

well, I am no tuner, that's for sure, so the PC based stuff is out. I could get a custom tune, but I like the idea of being able to return it to stock when I have to go to the dealership. Hpp3 might just be it...
Old 04-10-2005, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the power with truck tunes doesn't come from bumping the timing, it comes from leaning out the power enrich mode. The trucks go extremely rich in PE mode from the factory. This keeps them safe for extended bits of max effort towing, but isn't good for max power. My point is that you can benefit from a computer tune with 87 octane, but I still would not buy a handheld. There are far too many people with HPtuners and LS-1edit who would be willing to send you a good file for free if you had one of those programs. Since the programs are about the same price as a handheld programmer, unless you are one of the few people left who don't own a laptop computer, you are much bettrer buying tuning software than getting a silly little handheld programmer.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

a custom tune will always gain more power than a handheld. it will also allow more things to be accomplished over the handheld as well. returning it to stock isnt neccassary to take it to the dealership. they are not going to find the tune. if they reflash the pcm cal the tuner up and they will send another pcm. there is way more that can be tailored to you with edit or hptuners over a handheld.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

well the only other thing I am worried about is longevity of my truck. I need this baby to last a while, so, is a conservative tune going to wreak havoc on my truck, I am guessing no, but I also know that with TQ management removed it could kill my tranny. So the dealership can't find out it was tuned? (or won't likely)
Old 04-10-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

I could put money that Hypertech has screwed up more vehicles than a custom tune has. Custom tuning is great. Allen Nelson does mine. You can just e-mail him or whatever and tell him what you want. Conservative (as far as TM) and whatever else. He will set you up. So far I have 100% Engine TM removed and 60% TM removed and I hammer my truck a lot, and I mean a lot. My tranny is still working fine (knock on wood) Fact is, the 4l60e is a POS and will need to be replaced in the long run if you plan to add more performance to the engine.
Philip S.

Quick Reply: is an 87 tune worth it?