Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

92 tbi 454 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinatorfps
Idling it will act a Lil funny cold. once warm no funny hesitation at idle when barley touching gas like 2to300 rpm worth. But cold or warm starting at a stop bout 1/4 inch into the throttle I have hesitation then it's fine thru 3/4throttle response wise and power wise seem fine.at wot it falls on its face. No power. But engine roars but no gogo but listen if I back off 1/8 of a inch on that throttle at wot it will catch perfect and take off like a bat outta he'll. What has been replaced is Plugs wires distributor that stupid part within the distributor before I replaced the Distributor All 3 current temperature sensors because one was throwing a code and we're in a code and I didn't know that the 454 had 1 for an electric fan so technically it has 3 versus the normal 2 I learned my lesson that was a pain i* t** a**. The coil's been replaced PCV valve's been replaced even though it seems to be good New injectors Tbi rebuild kit I've had 0 codes except the 1 for 15 which is for the extra electrical fan that the 454 has for current temperature sensor When I put the near distributor in I've never time to vehicle so I took it to a shop and paid 60 bucks he said I was one tooth off I felt pretty proud about that being a certified YouTube mechanic I've seen this post I've seen it before I found it again 6 months later same problem can't figure it out tired of throwing parts at it what do you all think This has the EGR before it had a sensor the sensor that is connected to is that stupid filter filter filter filtration system one that has the tiny little air filter in it but again I'm not throwing any Coats so I'm at a wash on what it could be And I get a feel smell and heavy fumes from the exhaust when I'm hard on it only Exhaust does smell pretty rich
What year? TBI I am assuming? Base timing with the EST bypass is set at what? 4° is stock and I set the last 454 I messed with at 8-9° BTDC. Somebody had previously timed it to Zero or TDC like a SBC gets timed from the factory but had failed to disconnet the EST bypass. When I disconnected the bypass connector it was at about -12. It would bog under load, cough fire out of the TBI if you opened the throttle quickly and ran like poo. It was a 91 square body crew cab dually and after fixing the timing and a washer mod to get the fuel pressure up to ~14 from 10 it was running at, it had no problem spinning the tires. What is the fuel pressure under load?