Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

98 Tahoe L31 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Tahoe L31 Rebuild

I have a 98 Tahoe 4 door 4x4 that im getting ready to do an engine rebuild in and i thought it be smart that i ask around and get some advise on what i have planed on doing and seeing if any of u guys would shed some light on what i should and should not do.

BUDGET (3200-4000$)

Here is the plan.

* Im having the block bored .30 over

* Im buying a scat 350/355 crank with H beam rods and floating wrist pins with flat top pistons with balanced flywheel and balancer. This SBC Chevy Scat 350 355 Rotating Assembly Forged 030 Pistons H Beam Rods ft 1pc | eBay

* Im getting a LT4 Hot cam with Behive springs with stock rocker arms and push rod length, WITH stock heads ( If it will work ) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...2586/overview/
- Again Im open to suggestions on the cam but i have seen people use the LT4 Cam in 96-2000 350s and it WORK great and sound great.

* Having the ECU reflashed with a tune best suited for this or any other cam in genreal im not really sure what company to go with as of yet any suggestions welcomed.

* I am upgrading the fuel injectors with the newer updated version of the SCFI to MPFI these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/df...et/model/tahoe

* I gonna install a new CAI from K&N and Port the Hood for NICE cold air.

* Also putting on a set of Shorty headers with same length tubes on all four exhaust ports with exact O2 locations

* Im having the entire exhaust reworked with 3in tubing with true duals with a dual Super 10 Flowmasters.

* I am having the stock L60-E Tranny re built with the installation of a electronic B&M shift kit.

* And might through a locker in the rear.

What I am looking to get out of this set up is,

1. Good lopey idle it has to have that lope.
2. Power band of 1800 to 5500-5800.
3. at least 300 ponys at the rear wheels.
4. And 350-400 FTlbs at the rear wheels.

Any and ALL suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. BTW im only out sourcing getting the block bored and tanny rebuilt im doing all this other work my self. I have rebuilt other STOCK 350s before but i have NOT done a custom rebuild. So like i said before any and all advice is welcomed.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Come guys no one has any comments? or any thing....
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO the cai isn't worth if since the stock system draws fresh air from the headlights through the passenger fender. You might want to look into an 0411 PCM swap and the 3/4 ton head pipes, I don't remember the lift numbers on the lt4 cam but on the vortec heads I believe you can't go over .450" lift(?) without machining the seats. Hog will probally come on here and give you some advice, he really knows his stuff with these engines. I had a 97 Sierra z71 I was gonna do a similar build to but nothing ever happened with if and I ended up trading it for my Z28
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

my opinion is your going regret wasting your budget and a couple more grand only to have a sluggish pig that idles like **** stumbles only a little more power than stock and sucks gas.And when your done its still worth $2500
Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your doomed with the fueling to make crazy hp . I would do a 383 with bolt ons. no crazy cam . Easy to tune lots of usable lower rpm power . And no shitty idle
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

[IMG][/IMG]Ive only seen a couple 383s in the vortec,thoses were unimpressive for the money spent,little gain sucked gas tempermental ,tune never right.

The best vortec is a stock vortec

Anyone here feel free to tell me im wrong.

the wise thing to do would be to sell the truck,buy a 00 and up tahoe,supercharge or turbo the 5.3 or go stuff a cammed 6.0 in it,this way you will have a million options

There have been guys transplant LS 6.0s,5.3s 5.7s into 96-99 trucks /tahoes and used the vortec harness

I had a 98 xcab 5.7 with headers catback CAI and hypertec,TB spacer,thinking it ran good.My buddy showed up with a new demo 99 xcab 5.3.we were even until 50 after that he walked away.
It wasnt long after i had a new truck,and after all the bolt ons i went 6.0 cammed with ported heads

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 12-15-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 AM

Alright im listening to yall but regardless i have to rebuild the engine in my old hoe she got some piston slap every morning for 10-30 secs even if i do just a stock rebuild im keepin her she looks good and RUNS great for a old vehicle plus i like the old girl for the family me my wife little boy and a girl otw HOW EVER, i have to buy aonther truck any how any suggestions on what year Chevy man all the way
Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
[IMG][/IMG]Ive only seen a couple 383s in the vortec,thoses were unimpressive for the money spent,little gain sucked gas tempermental ,tune never right.

The best vortec is a stock vortec

Anyone here feel free to tell me im wrong.

the wise thing to do would be to sell the truck,buy a 00 and up tahoe,supercharge or turbo the 5.3 or go stuff a cammed 6.0 in it,this way you will have a million options

There have been guys transplant LS 6.0s,5.3s 5.7s into 96-99 trucks /tahoes and used the vortec harness

I had a 98 xcab 5.7 with headers catback CAI and hypertec,TB spacer,thinking it ran good.My buddy showed up with a new demo 99 xcab 5.3.we were even until 50 after that he walked away.
It wasnt long after i had a new truck,and after all the bolt ons i went 6.0 cammed with ported heads
Very well said . I agree .
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Riddle
Alright im listening to yall but regardless i have to rebuild the engine in my old hoe she got some piston slap every morning for 10-30 secs even if i do just a stock rebuild im keepin her she looks good and RUNS great for a old vehicle plus i like the old girl for the family me my wife little boy and a girl otw HOW EVER, i have to buy aonther truck any how any suggestions on what year Chevy man all the way
IMO for the looks, prices and reliability you can't beat a 99-07 classic
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

If you have no dead holes and only some piston slap,dont waste your money on a engine.
Sounds like you have a pocket full of cash burning a hole in your pocket.

If the motor is broke,i would go buy used and spend $600 and call it a day.

Go buy something with a 5.3 or 6.0 in it.99+ GM

Quick Reply: 98 Tahoe L31 Rebuild