Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

99-02 PCM - Ran Wire, Batt Lt still Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 99-02 PCM - Ran Wire, Batt Lt still Flashing

Bummer man, I ran the wire from the alternator to pin 52 of the red connector on the PCM, fired it up...and the damn battery light is still flashing. I rechecked the wire for continuity and it's good, I swapped in my backup 02 PCM just to make sure that was OK, and that's not it (plus I found out that my backup needs a crank relearn...son of a beotch). My only guess is that the alternator needs to be upgraded also...I'll find out soon....I just bought an 03 145 amp alternator on ebay last night (got lucky,I guess timing is everything). If that isn't it I'll probably pull out what little hair I have left.

I'm real curious if anyone's done the 99-02 PCM swap and was able to turn off the batt lt by just running the wire and not swapping the alternator
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Bummer man, I ran the wire from the alternator to pin 52 of the red connector on the PCM, fired it up...and the damn battery light is still flashing. I rechecked the wire for continuity and it's good, I swapped in my backup 02 PCM just to make sure that was OK, and that's not it (plus I found out that my backup needs a crank relearn...son of a beotch). My only guess is that the alternator needs to be upgraded also...I'll find out soon....I just bought an 03 145 amp alternator on ebay last night (got lucky,I guess timing is everything). If that isn't it I'll probably pull out what little hair I have left.

I'm real curious if anyone's done the 99-02 PCM swap and was able to turn off the batt lt by just running the wire and not swapping the alternator
Creederado will chime in. I think hes the one who figured the fix out. I havent done the trick yet. For some reason I thought the alt had to be replaced.........
Old 03-13-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i want to know also. I think i could maybe run more timing on an 02 pcm w/o getting flase knock.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
i want to know also. I think i could maybe run more timing on an 02 pcm w/o getting flase knock.

I had to buy a alternator pig tail clip that had two wires coming out of it.My 99 only had one wire.
Evrything else you did sounds good, red terminal 52.

If your conection at the alternator is good than I'm not sure what the problem is.
Try to see if your 145 amp alt helps.
I'm not sure if the 02+up alternator have differnat internal wiring than the 99. I took mine apart the best I could, but couldn't see any differances.
Heres' my old post; But I see that you already posted in it.
link
Old 03-13-2005, 09:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea Creed, I used the same pigtail for the alt as you...think that I got the part # out of one of your threads. Pretty much did everything that you did minus the alternator, so I'm assuming that's the missing link. I just ordered the longer belt from GMPartsDirect a few minutes ago...got that part number from one of your old posts that diehardchevy directed me to. I was hoping the light would go off without needing the alternator, mainly for the other folks out there that want to do the 99-02 swap and not have to spend too much jack.

I thought that I read somewhere that Nelson figured out a way to turn off the light through programming, but haven't heard any solid stories about it.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I thought that I read somewhere that Nelson figured out a way to turn off the light through programming, but haven't heard any solid stories about it.
Allen turned off my flashing battery light with programming. I never added the additional wire.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by rosscob
Allen turned of my flashing battery light with programming. I never added the additional wire.
Ah ha, I knew that I read it somewhere!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:52 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Mine worked with no problem. I used the original alt. clip and just drilled out the center hole on the clip to add a wire from the PCM.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by JERRY2500
Mine worked with no problem. I used the original alt. clip and just drilled out the center hole on the clip to add a wire from the PCM.
Hmmm, I wonder what's the deal then...maybe my wire isn't making contact at the PCM or something. Or possibly there is a slight difference between the 99's and 00's? Now I gotta try to make the time to check it out.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Make sure the wire on the PCM terminal is all the way in. Also look on the alternator and make sure there is a pin in the center. I think some have them and some don't.

Quick Reply: 99-02 PCM - Ran Wire, Batt Lt still Flashing