Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

99 to 02 pcm swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 to 02 pcm swap

I have a 99 5.3 and have been having alot of problems with my truck. I am looking to swap it for a 02 pcm to help remedy the problems. What all is going to be involved besides the swap. What else do i have to change? It will help the false knock and make the truck run better right? My brother has a 02 exactly like mine and the engine and transmission feel 100percent smoother and stronger than my truck.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

do a search on here and i think you will find a bunch have done it.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02denali
do a search on here and i think you will find a bunch have done it.
I did a search right after i posted but have a few questions i didn't get. Do i HAVE to upgrade the injectors to swap the pcm. If so where is the best place to get some, i couldn't find any injectors in a search online. Also to get rid of the battery light do i just run a wire to the alt or did anyone ever make sure that fixed the problem. Also is there any need to retune the new pcm or can i just put in a stock 02 and run it as is. I would like a new tune but thats that much more money im going to have to pay all at once. Where are the cheapest pcms?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

1)unless you progam the 02 pcm to use your smaller 99 injectors you'll have to get new ones. I used 24.5 lbs out of a 03.
2)The best place to get them is in the classifieds
Also to get rid of the battery light do i just run a wire to the alt or did anyone ever make sure that fixed the problem.
I made sure, and don't for see any problems with it.

For pcm you get what you pay for, I have seen them for 200 on special.
I went with Nelson performance and don't regret it.
Theres been 10+ posts on pcms so happy reading.
I live in Ny were ls1edit dynotuning doesn't exist,

Heres what I posted before;
First off for the new guys I have a 02 Nelson Tuned pcm in my 99 Step side.
Bottom line without getting into it, I did this because it runs alot better than the 99 ever could.
The only problem I have is the flashing battery light and dtc code "Generator Terminal F circuit"
Looking at the wiring schematics between the 99 and 02 the only differance I found was an additional wire from the pcm Red terminal #52 to the alternator.
Terminal 52 is not used on the 99 pcm.

Well thanks to Allen I got a pcm clip and finally added the wire to terminal 52.
I ran it up to the alternator and now I'm only waiting for a new plug (02 plug on order) to plug in the alternator. The 99 doen't have a slot for it so I can't just add the wire to it.

If that doesn't cure it there may be a missing wire in the alternator itself. i tried taking the black plastic off the back but couldn't see if there was two wires or not. I ordered a GM 145a alt because I needed one anyway so that may have the upgraded wiring.
The next step after that is scaning the nelson pcm and picking up the vin and ordering a 02 bcm. the dealer is going to have to flash the new bcm with the vin from my 02 pcm.

Should know in the next few days when the plug comes in
I purchased an alternator clip from the dealer for an 02 alternator.
Part # 15306329 $14
It came with two wires coming out of it. I wired one to the stock 99 brown wire and the second to the new wire I had run from the pcm.Plugged it all in and No more flashing battery light

Sorry the update took so long i havn't had much time lately.

So it looks like for now to get rid of the light you have to run a wire from terminal 52 (red) to the terminal next to the factory wire on the alternator harness.

Thanks allen for the clip
Old 11-15-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I swapped for an 02 PCM too. Im gonna use Creeders method to get rid of the battery light flashing. But man oh man did my truck run better after I ditched the 99 PCM!!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks i never had seen a post on whether the wire fixed the problem. So what i need is the alt plug for an o2 and a pcm plug to run the new wire and the 24lb injectors for a 02. For the pcm i was either going to get a stock 02 and run it if there was no problem and get hp tuners later. Would that be ok or am i going to have to have the 02 tuned with my vin before i can use it. If so i figure ill get a nelson and be done with it.

Originally Posted by creederado
1)unless you progam the 02 pcm to use your smaller 99 injectors you'll have to get new ones. I used 24.5 lbs out of a 03.
2)The best place to get them is in the classifieds

I made sure, and don't for see any problems with it.

For pcm you get what you pay for, I have seen them for 200 on special.
I went with Nelson performance and don't regret it.
Theres been 10+ posts on pcms so happy reading.
I live in Ny were ls1edit dynotuning doesn't exist,

Heres what I posted before;
First off for the new guys I have a 02 Nelson Tuned pcm in my 99 Step side.
Bottom line without getting into it, I did this because it runs alot better than the 99 ever could.
The only problem I have is the flashing battery light and dtc code "Generator Terminal F circuit"
Looking at the wiring schematics between the 99 and 02 the only differance I found was an additional wire from the pcm Red terminal #52 to the alternator.
Terminal 52 is not used on the 99 pcm.

Well thanks to Allen I got a pcm clip and finally added the wire to terminal 52.
I ran it up to the alternator and now I'm only waiting for a new plug (02 plug on order) to plug in the alternator. The 99 doen't have a slot for it so I can't just add the wire to it.

If that doesn't cure it there may be a missing wire in the alternator itself. i tried taking the black plastic off the back but couldn't see if there was two wires or not. I ordered a GM 145a alt because I needed one anyway so that may have the upgraded wiring.
The next step after that is scaning the nelson pcm and picking up the vin and ordering a 02 bcm. the dealer is going to have to flash the new bcm with the vin from my 02 pcm.

Should know in the next few days when the plug comes in
I purchased an alternator clip from the dealer for an 02 alternator.
Part # 15306329 $14
It came with two wires coming out of it. I wired one to the stock 99 brown wire and the second to the new wire I had run from the pcm.Plugged it all in and No more flashing battery light

Sorry the update took so long i havn't had much time lately.

So it looks like for now to get rid of the light you have to run a wire from terminal 52 (red) to the terminal next to the factory wire on the alternator harness.

Thanks allen for the clip
Old 11-15-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DanielTN
Thanks i never had seen a post on whether the wire fixed the problem. So what i need is the alt plug for an o2 and a pcm plug to run the new wire and the 24lb injectors for a 02. For the pcm i was either going to get a stock 02 and run it if there was no problem and get hp tuners later. Would that be ok or am i going to have to have the 02 tuned with my vin before i can use it. If so i figure ill get a nelson and be done with it.
Yea, Creed figured out a fix for the flashing battery light. You can toss an 02 PCM right in there. But you will have to do the security re-learn and then you can start it up!. Security re-learn is outlined here
Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

what do you guys mean by "the truck runs so much better" exactly ??.....
Old 11-15-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Yelo
what do you guys mean by "the truck runs so much better" exactly ??.....
I had false knock problems from the get-go. So my truck ran like *** anyways. After I got my cam in it ran even worse. 8 degrees of KR all the time!!!!!! It ran horrid. I swapped PCM's and my truck ran perfect. For $60 bucks I aint complaining.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea where I can find an 02 PCM for $60? Didn't see any on ebay.

Here's the most recent link with Creederado's success: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...23#post2002323

Quick Reply: 99 to 02 pcm swap