Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

99 xcab Z71 power increase

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all no you do not have too many miles to put a cam in. Second the heads are going drop your CR so the gain you would see from the extra flow would probably be cancelled out by the CR loss. Now if you drop them off at a head shop and got .03 chaved off of em or so then I would drop those heads on there. I say get you a nice cam get those heads sheved a bit and while your at it get a quick stage 1 job done on it slap those on there and do the stuff you said in your above post along with a nelson tune and go on down the road. Honestly I would try the tune first and see if thats enough for you. It will make a night and day difference then go from there until you are satisfied.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by makoshark
Ok, so I get an 02 computer and have it tuned. I throw the cat in the garbage and fire up my welder and build a dual exhaust. No emissions check in my state. Put something like the air raid intake setup and port the throttle body. Put new O2 sensers on. Already have put a fuel filter on and have already made plans to put a new fuel pump in. Put 24lb injectors on. I don`t really want to deal with headers. I hate them. What about the LQ9 heads I have? Mill them and bolt them to my 5.3 or put them on my T/A or put them on my 69 LS1 camaro? Do I have too many miles to put a cam in?
I would replace the cats with this OE type. .
Why be an inviromental slob for little to no gains. These flow very well.
Save your cash for the Airaid unless you get a blower. A drop in K&N will be just fine. You might gain 1 or 3 HP with a CAI on a non force inducted motor.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have a K&N filter in there. I know there isn`t much gain from the CAI, but does it not help the motor breath better though. I already knew the heads had to be milled and I would have my machinest clean up the ports and do a valve job as well anyway. New cam, timing chain, springs and pushrods. Do I need to replace the lifters with the new cam or will it be ok to keep the original one`s in there? I`m old school. I`ve been messing with cars since I was born. I was born into the auto restoration hobby, so I do know quite a bit about cars, but I`m not up to date on fuel injected models. I won`t bother spending the extra money on new cats.