Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

? about rods to push up lifters when changing cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Colby 04
you sure about that?

I looked at the journals when I had mine apart, it doesn't look like just any old rod pushed up in that hole will work. It looks like the rod would have to wedge up against the side of the lifter in order to hold it. Here's a pic of the cam bearings with the lifters pushed up - notice the location of the oil journals, a rod will only rest "under" them, not through them. This is just my observation...

Hmmm....I guess I'm not sure then. I thought it went through the lifters, but if the lifters looks like this then I dunno what it goes through.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Hmmm....I guess I'm not sure then. I thought it went through the lifters, but if the lifters looks like this then I dunno what it goes through.

it doesn't go through anything - I've got some 1/4" metal rods that never got used because I saw how it was set up and ended up going to get pen magnets. The lifter is just a tangent on the upper side of the opening(oil journal)....it's not under or through the lifter unfortunately. The JPR tool, you can see , is a special semi-circle design. I think it's designed to fit that exact opening of the oil journal and catch that ridge in the center of the lifter which locks it in place and keeps it from falling down.

Here's an idea of how it's set up:

More of my art work
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh gotcha. Makes sense now, thanks for the pic. So basically what you're saying is that even though I used the 1/4" rods, they probably didn't do anything - the lifters could have still dropped into the pan. So I was really using the russian roulette method huh
Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Ahhh gotcha. Makes sense now, thanks for the pic. So basically what you're saying is that even though I used the 1/4" rods, they probably didn't do anything - the lifters could have still dropped into the pan. So I was really using the russian roulette method huh

Yes, russian roulette

I bought the 1/4" rods, but me being the curious type, I looked down the oil journal, saw the setup and said "wait a minute...."

....about that time we packed up and went to 2 different autozone's collecting pen magnets

The JPR tool is not just an overpriced piece of metal stock - it's designed to work properly