Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ABS and BRAKE light on after 4.56 gear install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and BRAKE light on after 4.56 gear install

After i installed my lift, 38" tires, and 4.56 gears in the front and rear the ABS and Brake light comes on after a few mins of driving. I figured it would go off after i got the tunercat program and tuned it for the new gear ratio and tire diameter, but it didnt. Is there anything else i shoud be programming? I noticed on the tunercat that it Says "overall gear ratio" I put 4.56 in that spot, but what exacly do they mean by that? It also says "speed error-actual and indicated" set at 60 and it has a speed correction factor also. Should i be doing something with those values also? Thanks for any help

Chad
Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Make sure that all of your wheel speed sensors are plugged in securly after you did the lift. If that's the case, you may need to clear the fault....some ABS faults won't go away by themselves.

-Chuck
'03 DSG Lightning *sold*
'05 GMC Sierra WT 4.8L
Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

i checked all the sensors...I put in the metric size of the tires instead of the standard size and it was a litle different on the pulse per mile and all that. took it for a short spin and it wasnt on yet, guess il find out tomorrow for sure. to reset the ABS do you pull the fuse for a little while?

Chad
Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same problem. I just recently got Hp tuners, and set it for the 38" tires and 4.88 gears, but I still have the lights come on. Does any one know what the code is that I would have to turn off? It doesn't come up in the scanner and I didn't see anything for abs in the list of codes. Any ideas??
Old 06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

my girlfriend just purchased a 01' 6.0L 4x4 and every once in awhile the abs light will come on and stay on until we shut the truck off. may stay off for awhile and then come back on eventually. Anyone have this problem?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

your probably getting a c0238 wheel speed mismatch, had the same problem when i did the 4.56 gears, even after changing settings with hyperjunk the front and rear still showed different speeds, might want to post on ls1truck and ask allen at nelson performance, the problem went away after i got a custom tune from him, and i think he is using hp tuner. and the only way i know to clear it is with a scanner.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem when my 4.56's went in...I used superchips at the time and I just reloaded w/ the change in gears and the problem was fixed...I have sinced changed my tune to a Vinci tune (it is a modified Crane) and I still don't have the problem. So, I would say that SuperChips, Crane, Nelson, and I think I heard that the preditor all will fix the ABS/Brake codes that come from the computer getting wheel speeds that differ from the driveshaft speeds (different than what value is expects, I know they are always going to be different).
Good luck,
Damon
Old 06-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

You guys are putting the wrong gear ratio in the tuner - it's not the gears in the rear -end, it's the overall gear ratio. Your tuner should have a section on how to test the overall gear ratio. I have 3.73's and my overall gear ratio is 2.68.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

My tuner has a location to put in rear end gear and you select from a list...3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 ect...then you input you tire hieght in 1/4" incriments...NOT overall gear ratio...I think if your tuner wants overall gear ratio, it won't get rid of those codes.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check it out guys, look at the ABS sensor...it should be point right at a metal shield that is behind the rotor and caliper. There is a hole on that shield!! If the hole,on the shield, is not directly in front of the sensor then this could be the cause of the whole problem. The sensor reads the high and low metal spots behind that metal shield and if one tire is moving either slower or faster than the others...ABS kicks on! The sensor is a magnet so without the hole infront of it, all it see's is the metal shield therefor it stays on!

Quick Reply: ABS and BRAKE light on after 4.56 gear install