Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Adding FI to 2004 Regency 4.8 -- FI guys please come inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding FI to 2004 Regency 4.8 -- FI guys please come inside

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum, but not new to FI cars. I own a 10 second Eagle Talon Tsi AWD thats went a best of 110mph in the 1/8th, 136 1/4, and dyno'ed 570 AWD on a mustang, built and tuned myself on E85. With that said, i'm not a rookie, but new to the GM camp. I'm used to running 35-40psi on my T67 setup, trying to learn this 5-15psi stuff.

I'm 95% sold on adding a topmount turbo to my DD truck. Not trying to build a drag truck, just a very sporty DD. It's pretty much completely stock other then a Diablo tuner, 72k miles on it. To be honest, I'm looking to make around 450-500 on a mustang dyno, either on E85 or 93 for this to be worth it.

I've done a good bit of research the last few weeks on this forum on FI and these 4.8's. However I have a few questions and not looking for the swap to the 6.0 answers.

1) Do these truck have good head gaskets or should it be changed if you plan to run 15-20psi? What are my options? Also, ARP head studs, when do these trucks start lifting heads?

2) Next, ARP rod bolts. Is this the weekest point in the stock rods?

3) New to the returnless fuel setup. Do you need a after market fuel pressure regulator for a Walbro 255? Can you install two intank fuel pumps on these trucks or is inline pump a better option. Stock lines ok for 500 wheel?

4) Fuel rails ok? Whats a good injector size for 500 goal on E85. Is there a lean cylender or bank?

5) Timing chain, since the head is stock (cam and springs) not looking to go past 6500, any issues?

6) Plan to refresh my transmission (bearing issue) but what are my clutch options?

7) Ignition good on these trucks? Figured I'd gap down some, maybe drop a head range.

Other things worth saying. I plan to tune with HPtuners (Diablo was a gift) and wideband.Thanks for any advice and wanted to add there are some great looking ride on here!

-Rob Melcher

Couple pictures, video's.

Stock 20-120 in truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Da9nOsvo8
Talon 10.7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB9kDxXRLgw
Dyno 570: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAnivGoutXE

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Type in LS1 on Amazon.com and you'll see a number of books. I have 3 or 4 of them, and they all have tidbits that are worth the price. The one called "How to build high performance..." is necessary.

I have HP Tuners and I think it's a great product.

The truck coils are as good as it gets.

ARP and new gaskets a great idea.

I doubt you can get large enough injectors for E85 without getting car style injectors and adaptors (assuming you're using the truck manifold). Even the 8.1L marine injectors are only 42# IIRC

Get those books-they are alot of fun to read and have alot of really important little things that will save you time and $$
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04
1) Do these truck have good head gaskets or should it be changed if you plan to run 15-20psi? What are my options? Also, ARP head studs, when do these trucks start lifting heads?
You arent going to run more than about 10psi without having major longevity issues. One bad tank of gas and pop goes a ring land. The HG are fine, many have seen close to 20#s on stock heads and bolts.

2) Next, ARP rod bolts. Is this the weekest point in the stock rods?
Not worth messing with if the motor is in the truck

3) New to the returnless fuel setup. Do you need a after market fuel pressure regulator for a Walbro 255? Can you install two intank fuel pumps on these trucks or is inline pump a better option. Stock lines ok for 500 wheel?
You can run a walbro with Boost a Pump and that should be good enough for your goals with E85

4) Fuel rails ok? Whats a good injector size for 500 goal on E85. Is there a lean cylender or bank?
Rails are fine, 60# injectors, #7(back driver side) tends to go first, keep it a bit fat and should be fine.

5) Timing chain, since the head is stock (cam and springs) not looking to go past 6500, any issues?
Tchain is fine, some will say to replace but Ive done cam swaps on trucks with that many miles and reused the stock chain and they are still running. An LS6 cam will help your power numbers along with LS6 springs.

6) Plan to refresh my transmission (bearing issue) but what are my clutch options?
Not sure what clutches are out there but a friend of mine put down over 600rwhp with an LS7 clutch through the dumptruck 5speed with no problems.

7) Ignition good on these trucks? Figured I'd gap down some, maybe drop a head range.
Ignition is fine, just swap to some tr6s gap at .035 and you should be good to go.

Other things worth saying. I plan to tune with HPtuners (Diablo was a gift) and wideband.Thanks for any advice and wanted to add there are some great looking ride on here!

HPT will be fine and you will find a wealth of knowledge in the tuning section to help
Answers in bold

With all those answers honestly, for towing Id go for a LQ4 6.0 and a used 112 radix. Dead nuts reliability and tons of low end torque. I know you said no swap but I had to say it

Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Launching!

15-20 sounds high to me too. I've now seen 2 of these engines blown from boost. Granted they were aluminum blocks, but it was the pistons/rings that failed.

That's one sweet looking ride, btw
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

You can tell you are a DSM guy by your questions! lol makes me want to build another one
Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the advice so far. I got one step taken care of today, I have all new parts coming that includes 02 LS6 cam, yellow springs, and timing chain setup.

Next question, I read I need different pushrods. Would these Trickflow 7.450 rods be a good setup? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-21407450/

Also, do I need to buy gasket kit of any sort? I will be having a local shop install it for me, just wanted to get everything they need.