Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Advice on my planned 6.0 mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my planned 6.0 mods

Been looking into getting some extra power out of my 6.0 recently. I have an 02 2500HD with the LQ4. I've been a member at dieselplace.com for awhile, after doing some searching on the gas truck section over there I kept seeing people being sent to this site. So after a couple days of searching here this is what I decided on for my truck. Getting EFI Live, a friend is tuning mine, real cheap, thinking of getting a TR224 cam, some used 243 heads, and a Banks cold air intake. Anything else I should get along with this combo, or anything I should get instead? Not going to get FI of any kind, and definitely keeping the exhaust stock. My 6.0 is my only truck that is close to quiet and I don't want any extra noise from exhaust mods. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Sounds like a good start, and maybe a higher stall converter, around 3k.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

sound like a good start, i know you dont want the truck to get louder..
but i just have to say, with the flow of those heads and cam a set of longtube would help you ALOT... maybe longtubes with cats and stock muffler, it will stay quiet while allows alot better flow..
just a suggestion buddy
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start looking for some 05 and up truck fans . . . or if you're really cheap, the LS1 or LT1 fans will work.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Default sweet!

hey tootall!awsome video of your old silvy.what were your trucks specs?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but stock exhaust will practically kill any mods you make power wise. The basic concept of the engine is to take air in and let it out. The better it does those 2 things, the more power you will make. Definetly get some longtubes to match those mods. Even if you run highflow cats and a big case high flowing muffler you can keep that relatively stock sound.

That cam with those heads will make good power but you will be disappointed with the stock exhaust system still on the truck. There are plenty of ways to run a very efficient high flowing exhaust system without sounding like a Pro Mod car. Think of it this way, you wouldnt try to fire a .300 Win Mag round out of a .22 caliber rifle.

You would want a system like a customer of mine has. Keep in mind he is 63 years old. He has Pacesetter longtubes into Magnaflow High Flow cats that go to 2.5 inch true duals all the way back to 2 12 inch glasspacks then into a dual in dual out 22" case Magnaflow. After the Magnaflow the dual pipes run out the back and both exit right behind the passenger rear tire with some nice rolled edge Magnaflow tips. During normal driving his exhaust tone is noticeable but not loud at all. It sounds very tame until you floor it. At WOT it gets a little louder and deeper but nothing wild. There is absolutely zero resonance or drone inside the cab. The tone is awesome. All of this is on an 06 Vortec High Output ECSB. He also has a CAI and a local guy tuned the truck using EFI Live.

When we did the install on the CAI and headers he told us to take it to the exhaust shop we use and have them run whatever we thought would have nice tone but not drone or resonate in the cab. He said that he definetly wanted duals and to have nice dual tips. He said he wanted cats of some sort be it high flow or whatever. Other than that he said "I dont care what else you have them do exhaust wise just dont turn my truck into a racecar." We did the headers and took it to the exhaust shop and after talking to our exhaust guy we decided on that setup.

When he came to get the truck we both hopped in and he drove it around for about 20 minutes. He said that it was by far the nicest sounding vehicle he has owned. He said he loves that you can just slightly hear it while cruising and that when you floor it you keep the same tone without being to loud.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sierra69
hey tootall!awsome video of your old silvy.what were your trucks specs?
ahaha thanks . . . it was a baby cam !

222/224 .566 .568 -112
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but stock exhaust will practically kill any mods you make power wise.
Stock 2500HD exhaust flows quite well.... I wouldn't hesitate to run it as is. Yes, you can get more out of any engine with a more open exhaust, but you pay dearly to get rid of the drone at cruise. Not worth it.

I ran stock exhaust and intake with a cammed motor; it still performed great and stayed quiet.

Everyone has their pet peeves...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but stock exhaust will practically kill any mods you make power wise. . . . . .
I'm pretty happy with the way that it is right now . . . hopefully soon . . . it'll have some 1-7/8 LTs that are still in the garage . . .

I'll run those with the stock muff and cats . . . with 2 cutouts after the LTs . . . and it'll still be wifey and heavy trailer pulling approved.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gears does your truck have, and what size tires, and how high of a stall converter are you willing to run? All things to consider when chosing a cam.

That Banks CAI looks like a solid unit, I just don't like how it advertises itself with "Banks" all over it...I think it even says "Banks" on the clamps lol

Quick Reply: Advice on my planned 6.0 mods