Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Afraid to use hypertech!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afraid to use hypertech!

Well when i got my hypertech i let a friend of mine tune it for me. I want to go in and raise the 1st gear shift point. its a t 5800 but i want it at 6000. Plus i want to firm up my shift points, etc. but i am afraid ill mess sumin up. For people that have used it: is it complicating? And can i mess up my computer real bad if i do it wrong? thanks!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Afraid to use hypertech!

no, mine shifts at 6150rpm from 1-2nd. you will be fine.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:57 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not complicated at all, most of the questions are "yes and no" answers...
The only way you will mess up your computer is if you turn off your truck in the middle of tuning or start it or pull the plug out.
Even then...if you start the process over...it should recover from the **** up...
I love how all my shift are at 6000 RPMs...
Old 06-01-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a FEW MORE ?'S. Does the truck have to be running or just have the key turned forward? And what about when u just want to change a few settings? When change the ones u want to is there a "done" button or sumin? thanks!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

One thing I have found is helpful, plug in the unit with your truck off, get out with the drivers window down and your directions in hand, then reach in and turn the key to the proper position.Program your computer from outside the truck with the hypertech in hand. Once done selecting choices this will let you do something else while it programms your settings ( about 25 minutes).
Old 06-01-2003, 11:37 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a FEW MORE ?'S. Does the truck have to be running or just have the key turned forward? And what about when u just want to change a few settings? When change the ones u want to is there a "done" button or sumin? thanks!
DO NOT turn the truck on when running the hypertech.
Take the key out of the ignition, plug in the hypertech, turn the key to the "ON" position (DONT START IT) and hit the "Y" button, or "Start" (same button...at least on mine)
It will load up, then you start programming.
If you just want to change a few settings you gotta go through all the options all over again. Just keep the ones you want the same, and then change the ones you want. Thats how I did it when I keep having to go back and set my shifts higher so they'd all go at 6000 RPMs...

I went to the track on friday and I took off the hypertech programing (back to stock)
and I ran a 17.5 with only exhaust and intake.
Then I programmed the truck with the hypertech and got a 16.4
Mind you I have an open-diff and shitty *** tires that didn't grip until 5000 RPMs in 1st gear...
Old 06-01-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

One thing I have found is helpful, plug in the unit with your truck off, get out with the drivers window down and your directions in hand, then reach in and turn the key to the proper position.Program your computer from outside the truck with the hypertech in hand. Once done selecting choices this will let you do something else while it programms your settings ( about 25 minutes).

why climb out a window? unless you want to be bo and luke duke. you might want to run the truck for a while so the alternator charges the battery because you will be programming it with the key in the on position w/o the engine running. the manual says not to leave the truck when it is programming, not sure why, but i do. i come back in like 15-20 min and it says something programming completed. it will tell you how much programming it has accomplished by giving the reading in a %. you will see it slowly go from 1% up to 100%.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

DID I SAY CLIMB OUT THE WONDOW? I DON'T THINK SO. GET OUT OF THE TRUCK WITH THW WINDOW DOWN TO DO ALL YOUR PROGRAMMING FROM OUTSIDE THE TRUCK. UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR DOORS WELDED SHUT LIKE BO AND LUKE DUKE DID. HA HA.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

sorry, my bad. i'm an idiot
Old 06-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Teching In

No really me bad,I insist. On another subject, anyone using a hyper tech with a 5.3,4x4 standard cab, 3.73 gears, no other major mods done? I would like to know what you have found about what works best as far as all the choices the HPP3 gives you. Right now I have a 5900 rpm red-line,+2 in first,+4 in second, and +5 in third. I know 1+2 are all that really matter but it does give you the choice. Does the 93 octane really do much if you are really running 93 octane. I do not use reformulated gas anymore since moving far enough out of the city to get real gas again, so I would like to know if running 93 gives you much better of anything, milage, power etc. my settings are pretty mild to say the least, after having a weird moment or two with more radical settings. Thanks.
Just a good ol boy.....ha ha .

Quick Reply: Afraid to use hypertech!