Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Aftermarket Guage install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Guage install Questions

I just recently got my gauges in, Boost, Fuel Pressure, and A/F, and had some questions about them. I did a search and it seems the best place for the Fuel Pressure is on the passenger side fuel rail/crossover that has a valve stem type valve on it. In order to do this you need to use fittings to connect the sensor right? I found these to fittings on Summit Racing which I think are the correct ones, just need confirmation.
-4AN to 1/8NPT Adapter
1/8NPT to 1/8NPT Coupler

Also, when I install the sensor, will the valve need to be pulled out? If this is done, is there another way to let the pressure out of the system? I want to go ahead and install the gauge, but if there is not another way to relieve the pressure then shouldn't I wait until I put the injectors in?

With the boost gauge, it can tap into any vaccum line correct? Is there one in particular that is best suited? Any pics would be helpfull here.

The A/F gauge was just a filler until I get something to take its place or a wideband. Which wire should be tapped into for the signal to the gauge? I think I read somewhere that it was a purple wire from the front o2 to the pcm that needs to be used, but I could be wrong about the color. And since I hear most say its just good for a light show, I will put a switch to only have it on when I want it on.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get some answers. Thanks
Old 09-10-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What Kind Of Blower Are You Running?

If you are running a Radix there is a place for the boost gauge on the rear drivers side of the intake manifold. One is a nipple with a rubber cap on it and there is also a brass 1/8 npt plug beside it. With a Radix you cannot just tie into any line.
Don't know about the AF or fuel pressure, I have not done those yet.
I DO suggest you find a calibrated air source (instrumentation shop) and check the accuracy of your boost gauge. We have an instrumentation shop on my job and I found my boost gauge to be reading exactly 1 psi short. When it reads 5 psi I'm really at 6 psi. Knowing where your boost gauge really is will save you some real headaches.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

I will be running a procharger D1SC. My fuel and boost gauges are autometer electric units not mechanical if that makes a difference.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:18 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
Which wire should be tapped into for the signal to the gauge? I think I read somewhere that it was a purple wire from the front o2 to the pcm that needs to be used, but I could be wrong about the color.
Looked up the schematics. Looks like its ppl or ppl/white depending which bank you hook up to.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Can anyone confirm those are the correct fittings for the fuel pressure sensor?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:28 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I just recently got my gauges in, Boost, Fuel Pressure, and A/F, and had some questions about them. I did a search and it seems the best place for the Fuel Pressure is on the passenger side fuel rail/crossover that has a valve stem type valve on it. In order to do this you need to use fittings to connect the sensor right? I found these to fittings on Summit Racing which I think are the correct ones, just need confirmation.
-4AN to 1/8NPT Adapter
1/8NPT to 1/8NPT Coupler

Also, when I install the sensor, will the valve need to be pulled out? If this is done, is there another way to let the pressure out of the system? I want to go ahead and install the gauge, but if there is not another way to relieve the pressure then shouldn't I wait until I put the injectors in?
Those fittings look right to me if you can't find a one piece adapter that holds the valve open (like the one shown here: http://www.realspeedautomotive.com/fuprgarmo.html )

You will have to remove the valve with those. Buy a T and a Schrader valve while you're at it. Or you could always relieve fuel system pressure by giving the engine a crank or 2 with the fuel pump fuse/relay pulled.

For my gauge install I could just unscrew my Schrader valve from the Radix fuel rail.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

I have done some more reading and research. It looks like the best place for the boost gauge is either on the small nipple on the passenger side of the manifold, just behind the fuel pressure relief valve or on the driver side off the regulator line.

For the fuel pressure gauge, the relief valve seems to be the only place. If I can't find another way to relieve the system I guess I will wait until I put the injectors in to do this.

DrX, where can I get the T and shcrader valve so I still have the relief?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I have done some more reading and research. It looks like the best place for the boost gauge is either on the small nipple on the passenger side of the manifold, just behind the fuel pressure relief valve or on the driver side off the regulator line.

For the fuel pressure gauge, the relief valve seems to be the only place. If I can't find another way to relieve the system I guess I will wait until I put the injectors in to do this.

DrX, where can I get the T and shcrader valve so I still have the relief?
You could use your 1st fitting http://store.summitracing.com/largei...=EAR-916104ERL Then this T (EAR-991701ERL)
I don't see the Schrader valves(like the one that came on the Radix) anywhere but they must be damn common. Just need one with a 1/8 NPT to screw into the T

Or: You could use one of these (CEI-102071) along with the the 2 fittings that you initially selected. This T has the Schrader built in.

Or: maybe this is all you need (HLY-9900-163) But I don't see a pic to confirm what it is.

These are all Summit part numbers.

Last edited by DrX; 09-11-2005 at 07:51 PM. Reason: links not working
Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to ***** the thread but I have the same issue, where to plumb the sending unit into for my electronic pressure gauge.
The schrader vavle is fine with me but what is the thread pitch on that fitting?
The sendng unit I have has 1/8-27 threads on it but they are male, the same as the schrader valve on the fuel rail crossover tube. A male to female adapter will connect the two but no pressure will get to the sending unit unless the schrader valve is open.

I guess I'll try and thread a 1/8-27 fiting onto it and see if its a match.

So the Summit racing fitting will keep the schrader vavle open so your sending unit sees the fuel pressure? They dont have a good picture of the end so I can't tell if it will keep the schrader open.
Let me know what will work please!!
Thanks.
HLY-9900-163 (90 degree schrader valve with 1/8-27 threads)
EAR-991701ERL (1/8-27 T fitting)
EAR-916104ERL (AN to NPT adapter)
Old 09-11-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

If I am not mistaken, the schrader valve must be removed for the sensor to be able to read pressure. Those fittings I posted will just connect the two. After looking though, I think I have a solution.

You use this fitting, EAR-916104ERL, to go from -4an to 1/8npt
Then you use the tee, EAR-991701ERL, to connect the fuel pressure sender
And on the other side of the tee use the schrader valve that is about halfway down on this page http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/catalog/fittings.htm Looks like this

That schrader valve should work ok correct? It has the 1/8npt fitting and is rated to 500psi.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Guage install Questions