Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Air intake for 04 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake for 04 silverado

Im sure this has been brought up plenty of times, but new things hit the street and better info comes up. My question is what is the bottom line on all theses intakes for our trucks.. I have been looking at SLP, Volant, AirRaid and a few other brands.. what makes them different? Some are open and others are closed.. I just want the best bang for the buck without paying for a name.. Any insight on this would help or suggestions... Anyone have solid numbers before and after to back up any claims? Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want the best bang for your buck leave it stock or modify the stock air box. Maybe even add a homemade tube using the stock airbox. All of the CIA's are just more of a gimmick than anything. The factory box is already a CIA. The open element ones are a joke because they are pulling hot air from inside the engine bay. The closed ones don't work much better than the stock setup and cost way too much.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Yea He True
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

So just go with a K/N filter and change the duct from the box to the intake.. or is the K/N filter a waste to?

My goals are simple with the truck, i use it as a daily driver and to pull my trailor to and from the track. So i am not wanting to do any crazy mods, but i am doing a tune up on it before my trip to Daytona, if i can free up a little power or save a few miles on gas, im interested..

Any ideas are welcome.. but like you stated, i dont want to buy into any overated mods..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the fellas.... i had a K&N Intake ($265 wasted) and i wasnt impressed at all.. it just made noise.
ive got a few buddys and they wanted one.. so i got a 2" hole saw and drilled the front of their box out and put a K&N filter in there... saved a bunch of money and gives a lil camoflage for the Nitrous Nozzle on one of them..
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have any pics of how you modified the box or more info on some self help mods..
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't see a problem with the K&N filters just be careful not to over oil it or it will cause problems with your MAF. I chose to get an Amsoil filter because I don't want to deal with oiling a filter.

The basic mod for the air box is just to cut a hole in the bottom and or front of the box to allow easier air intake. I think most people just use a big hole saw.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drilled my stock airbox in the bottom as well as the plate underneath with a 4" hole saw. Put a stock replacement cotton gauze filter in it, UHP lid with tube and called it good. All for a grand total of $75.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Unless you are going for show under the hood with some fancy chrome tubes and such.....just modify your stock one it does the exact same thing if not work better.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just drilled 2 holes in the front of the box... act sortof like a Ram air from behind the headlight..
atleast thats what i wanted it to do..
if anything get a tube to replace the factory tube with.. smoother flow.

Quick Reply: Air intake for 04 silverado