Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which Air Intake and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Air Intake and Exhaust

I was wondering what would be the best Air Intake. I was either going with the UPD or the Volant. What would be the best Cat Back system to go with. I want something that would turn heads but not too loud in the cab. And at last what header should I go with. I just to keep the cats on for warrenty purposes. Thank You for your answers!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Which Air Intake and Exhaust

Air Intake wise its debatable. The UPD is dyno proven to make ~5 more rwhp over the K&N FIPK. I don't know much about the Voilant but ask Hodgee he's got one from what I remember.

Something that will turn heads will make noise in the cab usually. Magnaflow seems to be the new performance muffler over the ol' Flowmaster. I'd go listen to some people exhausts and see what you think. I HATE interior resonance and would pick a large cased Magnaflow to limit that.

Header and Warranty! Hahaha. Most of the dealers around here are pretty **** about mods that far up on the motor but if your is cool with it, The Other Guys is my choice. They are midlength and require a bit of cutting to the headpipes on your 6.0. 1BADHD ordered a set recently you can PM him about those. Other than those you have your choice of drop in shorty headers...but I'd spend the extra $200 for the midlengths.

Don't forget about a power programmer too. The Diablo Predator seems to be the new and better on the market over the Hypertech. It makes more power and adjusts the Torque Management tables. That or a custom dyno tune would be nice also.

I am off to wash the truck now, later!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Are those gains on the UPD intake w/o having to cut a hole in the bottom part of the intake box?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd assume with the bottom hacked off it makes that much more power. I don't really see how just that lid+tube makes 7-8rwhp total. If the bottom of the stock intake box was hacked out, airflow increases by a ton.

Lemme put it another way, if I had a UPD I'd hack the bottom of my stock bottom off.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Launching!

I intend on going with the volant for my 6.0 along with the dynatech supermaxx header and cats. Catback is up in the air for me right now as my choices seem to be limited for my sierra denali. I'd go with corsa if they had an application but it looks like I will go custom or b&b.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

What's wrong with the ASM ones...spending half the cash of the Dynatech's and the same amount of power? $750 would buy you a high stall conveter.

Corsa sounds great as does B&B. Check out Magnaflow also. Once again a custom setup will cost a few Benjamin less...

BTW, nice sig! lol
Old 07-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Nothing wrong with the asm's and they're still under consideration. I'm definitely getting mid or long tubes though. I probably won't get around to adding some mods until winter when things get slow for me. I'll change my mind 10 times between now and then.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Ah gotcha, what are you long term goals anyway with your truck?

Does your have the factory duals or the y-pipe?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned

dude, if you were to cut the bottom of your stock air box out you would just open up to a big ole piece of metal!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned

dude, if you were to cut the bottom of your stock air box out you would just open up to a big ole piece of metal!!!!

Quick Reply: Which Air Intake and Exhaust