Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Air Intake - kits versus new tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2doorfury
so a cold air intake is worthless on are trucks then??
not worthless, just way overpriced
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

I got really lucky on mine. I first bought the Airaid MIT tube & ran a K&N drop in filter. Eventually found the cone filter & sheet metal block off panel (or whatever you want to call it) on ebay for like $100, brand new. So, basically I pieced together a complete cold air kit that sells for $350+ for around $200.

As far as performance wise, I really didn't notice a difference between the K&N in the factory box vs the cone filter. However, I've got a crew cab with a 4.8 so it's hard to feel any gains.

I say get the airaid MIT tube & a drop in filter, call it a day. Maybe drill some holes in the bottom of the stock filter box.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run both the K&N FIPK and now the Volant CAI with ram air tube, and all that I really noticed was more noise. Wish that I was more knowledgeable sooner, as some of the folks here have made some real nice home made CAI's that perform just as well, and look just as good, if not better, then some of the aftermarket CAI's out there.

If you do build your own, I'd recommend that you get a high performance, reusable dry filter, as you'll have less of a chance of oiling the MAF sensor, and some of the new dry filters available flow just as good, if not better then some of the oiled offerings. Check Amsoil's website and see what they have...I replaced my oiled Volant filter with an Amsoil filter of almost the same dimensions and have been very happy with it
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a MIT on ebay at a good price. I installed it on my 09 5.3. I'm not sure about top end hp gains but the throttle response seems more immediate and it sounds louder my LS1 TA under full throttle.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

I can't say that cold air intakes on the trucks are a waste of money, if you're like me, every little bit helps. But IMO whether you get a full intake or just the drop-in/MIT and modify your stock airbox, you're not looking at groundbreaking HP gains either way. I usually only figure about +5 HP either way and depending on what full kit you go with if it has a metal air tube, you might even loose power because of heat.

For me, when thinking about air intakes its the most bang for the buck. I'd rather spend 30-50 on a drop in filter and 80-100 for the MIT than 300+ for a full kit knowing that one is not going to net much more power than the other. If it was a noticable difference in power gains that might change my mind.

On my current truck I actually had started out with a K&N FIPK full kit cause that was the only kit available for it when the NNBS trucks first came out. Paid less than 300 for it on ebay (got a good deal), but when the AirAid MIT's became available I bought one of those and a true-flow filter and sold the K&N for a little less than I paid for it, still came out on the positive side of things.

Not any real noticible differnce between the 2 having used both, I actually prefer the stock box and MIT cause the filter is in an enclosed box rather than the K&N cone filter.

Also, if you look around you can get the MIT's for pretty cheap. I bought mine from a local truck accessory shop for about $80 bucks. I would definitely go with a dry filter though, I need to dump my true-flow and get a dry flow filter.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Airaid has some dynos on their site. They show a 12HP gain on a 5.3 and 16HP gain on a 6L with the full kit. I doubt that you lose much just going with the MIT.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Airaid has some dynos on their site. They show a 12HP gain on a 5.3 and 16HP gain on a 6L with the full kit. I doubt that you lose much just going with the MIT.
That about the same as having a good tune done to the PCM. Airaid ad say anything about doing a tune with their results?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I got a spectre intake kit from advance auto parts. Direct fit on my silvy, and only cost 150 bucks. New tube, filter, housing, and all. Im really pleased with it also.

Ps: I prefer this kit over k&n simply because of price, and it gives about the same gains.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordy M
That about the same as having a good tune done to the PCM. Airaid ad say anything about doing a tune with their results?
I didn't see any mention of tuning after installing the kit.