Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

air intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep.. i did that on mine.. except i threaded it in the EGR blockoff plate on the side of the intake manifold.

But on the Fbody style IAT, you get the grommet for it too. Drill hole and install.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well thanks for the input guys i know what ill be doing now lol, also does this help with heat soak? i mean literally this truck gets it so bad its not even funny or describable
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lukn4trbl355
well thanks for the input guys i know what ill be doing now lol, also does this help with heat soak? i mean literally this truck gets it so bad its not even funny or describable
It sure helped on my TPI!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think im goin to the local parts store in a few lol, did you just get a harness or how did ya do the hook up to the sensor from maf?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

i think im goin to the local parts store in a few lol, did you just get a harness or how did ya do the hook up to the sensor from maf?
When I did it on my 87 GTA, I just reused the stock connector by cutting the wires & splicing in new sections of wires to extend the plug out to where the IAT had been relocated to. I guess about 12" for mine. I'm new to these trucks & actually have no clue as to where the IAT is. Haven't had any reason to look yet.

Just when I saw the post about the F-body IAT, I knew that that was something that I knew about, so I put in my 2 cents!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasSteve
When I did it on my 87 GTA, I just reused the stock connector by cutting the wires & splicing in new sections of wires to extend the plug out to where the IAT had been relocated to. I guess about 12" for mine. I'm new to these trucks & actually have no clue as to where the IAT is. Haven't had any reason to look yet.

Just when I saw the post about the F-body IAT, I knew that that was something that I knew about, so I put in my 2 cents!
It was $2 this time.. haha i didnt know the old stuff had a water temp sensor for the IAT..
The stock IAT is in the MAF on our trucks. and its kinda slow on reaction.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its definitley appreciated steve! and jonathan i know you said you relocated yours to the egr block off plate but any ideas on where the best part in the intake tube would be for the iat?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

anywhere from the filter to the intake manifold. all you gotta do is get it in the air thats goin to be entering the engine. I ran mine in the bottom of the airbox for a couple years when i was N/A
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

its definitley appreciated steve! and jonathan i know you said you relocated yours to the egr block off plate but any ideas on where the best part in the intake tube would be for the iat?
I relocated mine on my GTA (different engine, same concept....between the MAF & throttle body) from under the upper plenum to the bottom of the polished tube between the throttle body & the MAF, so that it was hidden & not just sticking out. Before I got that intake tube, it was on the bottom of the plastic tube just after the MAF. Since the tube I put it in is metal, I was able to drill a hole just big enough for the IAT to fit in & screw in making its own threads. Been there almost 2 years & hasn't loosened any. I wanna do the same to mt 2002 GMC Sierra soon. Can't hurt any.

You can just make out the IAT in this 2nd pic just above the word 'cut'.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get an airraid.

Quick Reply: air intake questions