Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!

What an ordeal this has been! For those of you who do not know...I attempted to install some billet servos and caused a nightmare to say the least. I woke up this morning at 6.30am (not fun when going to sleep at 2.30am) and got to play Wife (get screwed) and shell out $105 to the towing guys...then go to find out that the trans place could have gotten me there for about $60!

Oh, those of you who think it is pretty easy to install the shift kit/servo assembly must have small hands and stuff! That video will fool you, do not succomb (sp?) to its ease. This is a SUPER COMPLICATED install. Rebuilding a top end or doing a head swap is less work and hardache! You are all now warned.

Anyway...So I got to the trans place around 8am and got them to reinstall the Billet OD and Intermediate servos along with my TransGo! Took about 3 hours total work time, they got started at 11am and finished at 2pm. Got me a new screen (filter) put in and a new drain plug too.

I had the guys install the full kit with just a single washer in the 1-2 accumulator, which gives nice very quick crisp shifts. Very nice. Also my 3-2/4-2 problems are gone now also...just like described in the kit. At WOT I get a nice bark of the tires too. One washer in the 1-2 with the servos is the best for our heavy weight rides.

I did have two things wrong: TransGo sent me 700R4 valve body gaskets. LOL. And my 1-2 accumulator had a PLASTIC piston which I had replaced for an aluminum one. I can't believe GM does the same thing as Ford does and uses plastic in a transmission! My AOD had a plastic 2-3 accumulator!

I shelled out ~$350 for the install of shift kit, servos, screen, and fluid. Also I had them top off the transfercase too. Overall the shifts have a night and day difference. Quick and clean, just how I needed them. No more slop, and a great 3-2. The billets give a totally different upshifts than my old '99 Z71 with stock servos, far tighter. If you were hesitating on this, DON'T is is worth it (again for me). TransGo kicks ***!

On another note, since my Hi-Po Trans place was closed I went to Cottman Transmission. They are a fairly large chain store, but professional and do stuff correctly the first time. They did nothing half assed and this kit showed that to me. I had them rebuild my AOD in my other truck about 12 months ago and it works great...hell some of their "general rebuild parts" included many Hi-Po parts on it (like bigged OD drum, hardened sprag, more clutches, etc)! Not just a complete OEM trans, one that has all the OEM shortcomings taken out. Big thumbs up to you guys!!!
Old 07-05-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!

I forgot to add, I still have full Torque Managment installed too. So this shift kit and servos can only get better!
Old 07-05-2003, 06:57 PM

Glad to hear you got it all resolved.
Jim
Old 07-05-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks man, I am so happy all is now well!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Good deal! I was just as excited as you are when I got my tranny rebuilt and full Transgo installed. I went with two washers though.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remembering my TransGo install...I must have watched that video 20 times rewinding and replaying to make sure I had things correctly. It was about 105 degrees out when I did it too - really hot on the cement. I got tranny fluid in my hair eyes and mouth mmmm yummy The one thing I remember was having one check ball left over. I watched the video another ten times and they don't even mention it! It is normal though I read on a forum, and it is gratifying to know what you accomplished...but I wouldn't want to do it again
Old 07-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Hit mMan X,
This is what I am looking for on my '03 'Hoe. Would you do anythng different as far as shift firmness, my truck only has 6000 miles on it, but I am not real happy with the shifts, even with the predator, I want clean quick shifts, but not something that snaps your neck everytime either, just clean, crisp and quick. Let me know.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

bludool...

I would not change the shift firmness at all. It is super quick and clean. Not just crisp not very firm...sorta inbetween the two. If you install a TransGo with the billet servos your Tahoe will shift very nice as you have an extensivly modified TqMgt tables in your Predator. Also, be sure to put your line pressure back to stock via the Predator if you have raised it. If you don't it will cause problems.

The billet servos made a very large difference in the firmness alone. I used only one washer in my 1-2 accumulator and that is enough to bark the tires on a 1-2 at WOT. But is it for sure noticable in firmness in all RPMs. If you make your shifts too hard, you will damage your internals from the shock. I believe that happened to Whitt and Flyer on this board.

Where are you located? I can give you a ride if you need to see.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're making a lot a horsepower you don't want hard shifts,even high performance parts can't take the abuse.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Hit Man X,
Unfortunatly, I live in the Seattle area, would love to go for a ride before I do the mods, but I may just have to bite the bullet and do it. Just curious, why did you go to the billet servo's and not the 'vette servo? Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!