Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!

bludool, I am sure you will like the results, I do!

Well I went with the billet servos for their obvious superiority over the GM parts. The billet intermediate servo has a 35% more surface area than the 'Vette one. I think the 'Vette one is around 10-15% more than the regular intermediate servo. This will give very positive 1-2 and a great 2-3. Very tight 3-2/4-2 kickdown too...those kickdowns were what was really annoying me.

The OD servo increases surface area by 10% over the OE piece and comes with a billet cover. This is great for towing in OD and a cleaner 3-4 shift/4-3 downshift.

If you go with Billets and a TransGo, use only 1 washer in the 1-2 accumulator! Any more will shock the internals too much (neck snapping shifts) and cause stress fractures and eventual failure...not good. The heavier the vehicle the more stress is put on the driveline.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Are the billet servos the equivalent or better then the vette servos?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

The billets are far better than the 'Vette servo. The increase in holding capacity (apply area) make them better.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

AHH, good to know. I am gonna do a Trans Go but I think the torque management is making my truck act screwy now with just the vette servo and the HPP3 shift firmness on. On WOT shifts its almost like the engine cuts out a for a split second, then shifts pretty hard, then the engine comes back on. Also I hear an odd noise which sounds like its comming through the exhaust right at the point of the shift. I know its not the tire barking, it almost sounds like a rubbing sound or like a wastegate dumping on a turbo. Very odd for sure. I can't tell how hard the tranny really shifts with the engine cutting in and out before and after the shift. Feels like it shifts HARD but I think its just because the power is dropping off and then coming back on RIGHT after the shift. DOES this sound like a characteristic of TQ management? Whats gonna happen if I put the trans go in it?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put straight pipes in place of the muffler and it sounds really nice at WOT until it is shifting and the TM comes on and it racks like a hillbilly truck for a second. I think that might be what you hear Vortech5300. BTW Thanks again for the servo. I haven't seen you on here in a while.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The more power you make the more noticable TqMgt becomes...as I am pretty much stock (see my sig) I don't really worry about it too much. My next goal is to raise my WOT points and bump my timing a bunch. I spoke with Farmtruc (ls1truck.com 's man in charge) and he can give me the Predator paramaters for A/F, timing, and PE so I can use their power tune with EDIT. Basically like a helping hand.

With that in I will have a nice base to being messing around from. Also with EDIT, I will for sure lose my TqMgt also and get my tires size right also.

If you do a TransGo, toss the HPP3's shift firmness feature...all it does is raise line pressure. Hell you can sell that HPP3 for ~$200 on ebay and cough up another $200 for a Predator and get some real power from your truck as well as have the TqMgt extensivly modified. MarineBlue03 was losing around 9rwhp on the shifts due to TqMgt from what I remember.

I am pretty anxious to see how this TransGo/Billets will perform without TqMgt. I get a 1-2 bark at WOT already! But still soft enough at part throttle to be okay with the ladies!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

yea getting rid of TM made a HUGE difference on my truck (and the dyno runs showed it too)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Quick ? How much is a good price for the trans go kit and all the billet servos that I would need. I just need a price on the parts and also a good place to get them from. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Shift Kit - http://www.kdsperformance.com/tranhigpersh1.html

OD Servo - http://www.kdsperformance.com/ovsupser704l.html

Intermediate Servo - http://www.kdsperformance.com/supser700r44.html

After dirving the truck for about a day, I think I may pull the 1-2 washer out and run no washers in the accumulator for the 1-2 shift. It kicks just a bit more than I like...and when I delete TqMgt the shifts will get a bit more aggressive also, consider this also. When I pull that washer, my 1-2 will be like my 2-3 and that is plenty tight.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. Quick question about the Tq Mgmt. Is it better to delete it? or Edit it?? Never dealt with it before, so I am not sure about what it is or how it works.

Quick Reply: Allrighty! Got back from trans place with TransGo/Servos in!