Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

am i going to lose power? please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i going to lose power? please help me.

i recently straight piped my cats on my avalanche and i am not a fan of the new sound... however im glad i did cause my stock cats were beat and to my suprise one of them was busted up...

i do plan on doing a front mount turbo this winter/ spring and am going to run a catalytic converter with that system... i dont wanna have problems with visual inspection nor the cops here in NY... not to mention the truck smells terrible now lol...

so what im asking is... is a magnaflow 3 inch in&out spun single cat more restrictive than 2 stock converters? it seems to make sense that 2 cats are more restrictive than one... however the summit tech guy tells me different... any ideas guys? would the sound be different than 2 stock converters? hopefully it would be better than it is now... please help me out guys and point me in the right direction. I dont really wanna buy 2 cats that im not gonna use a couple months from now if i can just get one that i will use later also.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

well after some research i have found the turbos and cats on these trucks just dont seem to like each other! i do know that a turbo will muffle the sound alot also, however i need to do something till then... this sucks cause i LOVED my borla xr-1 sound i just wanted a tad more of a raw sound like the new camaros have with the xr-1... will a cherry bomb before the muffler help make me not obnoxious anymore? should i just suck it up and get 2 high flow cats? should i get 1 high flow cat? i dont know... but im kinda sweatin bullets here about what to do...
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

anything guys?!?!?!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take your cats and gut them out save the insides and sell it. then it will look like you have them. if you want to put on cats and not have the funky smell,

buy a Prius.... simple enuff
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang give us more than 2 hours for a response

If you wanna run cat i think you can get American Racing cats that come on there headers along with the magnaflow..
Also silconintakes dot com sells a "free flow" cat lol... You could run one of those and a smaller magnaflow bullit to tame the rasp..
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

sorry for me being pushy guys... i need a solution to the obnoxious rasp... before the wife hears the truck... LOLOLOLOLOL thats pathedic..

okay after even more research i found alot of people that get longtubes with ORY's and run a metallic spun cat. i have also seen people use the dynomax bullet before the muffler also...

my goal is to go a tad down the volume and eliminate light throttle rasp and almost no drone on highway... i dont mind hell breaking loose at WOT though!!!!! so will a dynomax bullet do the trick or maybe a bit longer cherry bomb? what about case length im thinking about 18 inch case? or a single metallic spun cat? i guess i can get over the smell if i can get rid of the rasp with a bullet or a cherry bomb

Last edited by z71vortec; 08-18-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote stock muffler and a cut-out
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
i vote stock muffler and a cut-out
nope... got to much money wrapped up in my cat back from the custom bent stainless pipe, xr-1 and 80 dollar double outlet, double wall tip... and i love my XR-1, just need to clean it up a bit from lack of kitties

any insight to my last post KING?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Usually a bullet will help resolve that rasp that you are having. I recently installed long tubes with the ORY. I installed a knock of single chamber flow with a turn down and it actually isnt bad at all. At idle its deep and mellow and little to no drone while cruising. Smack it and all hell breaks loose. Just a little insight.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

An 18 inch case bullet did the trick! Sounds nasty as hell...

Quick Reply: am i going to lose power? please help me.