Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

american racing headers or kooks who has and which better

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default american racing headers or kooks who has and which better

got my 1300 bucks so now which to get. I have a 07 tahoe with a 5.3 so dont think i need the inch and 7/8s sure the inch and 3/4 are good enough but thinking of a blower for it next year but dont want to hurt it on the motor now. I read the arh have a special collector on them that is for building velocity? Now that I have the money to do it right I want the ones that make the best power as that will return in best gas mileage also. So if you have a set of these let me know what you think. I have seen up to 38 rwhp on a 5.3 silverado with kooks but that was with a full dual set up with x pipe and I have a flowmaster cat back that exits with duals and has the huge muffler that is more quiet so going off road as right now you barley hear the truck so shouldnt be bad with cats gone. Also if anyone knows of a sale going on with either brands but lso far arh seems to be best bet and found them 1300 shipped with off road pipe for it. want to order today so help on this decision would be appreciated and thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

I think the difference in power between the Kooks and ARH will be negligible as they are very similar in design and length. Both have nice merge collectors. From what I gather, but not my own personal experience, some have had issues with the primaries hitting the steering shaft with the 1 7/8 Arh headers on nnbs trucks. This may not be an issue with a 1 3/4 header on your nbs Tahoe. I have personally found the best price amongst the two from Maryland Speed for the Kooks headers. They offer free coating for the price listed on their websight or you can skip the coating and they'll knock $200 off the price for headers and y combo. I am contemplating buying a set minus the coating as I don't think it is needed being that the the header is stainless anyway. Both are premium headers. I have a set of Arh fbody headers that I am very pleased with but I think this time I may go with the slightly cheaper Kooks that fit better.

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 04-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Teching In

found out the kooks do not have a merge collector as I talked to scoggin dicky that sells them so they are out as that collector is proven to make power worth paying for. I got the american racing headers 1 and 3/4 with off road y pipe shipped to my door in florida for 1300.00 even through mpe racing out of newyork. The owner chris is very knowlegable on both brands and says they have installed them both and the arh almost install themself from the top and you cant beat the fit and finish on them. Kooks run a shorter collector so no room for the merge is what I was told and this might only be on the nbs 07 and up like mine. So it was a no brainer to go with what will make more power at that point. no one else was close to this price from mpe. Will post up pics and install when I get them in a week or so as being dropped shipped right from arh.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

They lied!!! You'll be happy though. Those ARH headers are really nice.https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ighlight=kooks

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 04-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.