Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

AMW catch can oil - after 1 week [pic]

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMW catch can oil - after 1 week [pic]

When I installed the catch can, I saw no hint of oil in the PCV lines, so I was doubtful I'd see much oil in the can....but this is after about one week:

Without the catch can that oil would go directly into the Radix intake plenum and either clog up the intercooler core, puddle inside the manifold, or burn in combustion...all of which I'd like to avoid

AMW gets a thumbs up for keeping the oil out of my top end
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i fill mine up in about 2 weeks. with water that is. condensation is a problem in cold climates and it would be fine to send that thru the intake tract but the catch can pulls that out too. it's ok though, i dont want that oil in my turbo either.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by O3GMC
When I installed the catch can, I saw no hint of oil in the PCV lines, so I was doubtful I'd see much oil in the can....but this is after about one week:

Without the catch can that oil would go directly into the Radix intake plenum and either clog up the intercooler core, puddle inside the manifold, or burn in combustion...all of which I'd like to avoid

AMW gets a thumbs up for keeping the oil out of my top end
i like that AMW setup. Where do you get it? I also have the radix, and i think thats a worth while mod. How do you install? Has anyone doen a write up with the radix applicaton? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.accmachtech.com/

If you buy the mounting bracket, the bracket mounts to the two existing holes in the front of the pass.side cyl head. I took off the factory PCV from the barb on the back of the Radix, attached the supplied PCV hose to the factory PCV with a 3/8 barb, ran that to the can, then from the can back to the rear of the Radix.

few more pics in sig pic link
Old 01-30-2005, 08:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Dayum!...I haven't checked mine in a while...thanks for reminding me. Think I'll do that right now!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Wow, I hear ya about the condensation in colder climates Jim, I just drained about a tablespoon of Yoo-Hoo out of mine. (if I had a digital camera I'd show ya's...hopefully soon)
Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

the can really works, I drained about 20ml out of mine from 2000 miles of driving.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

What's so special about this catch can? $88 for a can with a petcock on it!?! There's gotta be a cheaper way. Is there some kind of filter in there other than the screen. This thing just looks like a glorified p-trap made out of billet aluminum. There better be some kinda SOTP gain for $88 + $25 for the bracket.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

In my opinion the can was worth it. It's well engineered and aesthetically pleasing. It has steel mesh to aid in removing the oil from the airstream and machined rings to prevent oil from running up the side of the can and exiting from the outlet.

I'm also a mechanical engineer with some machining background and access to production machines. I feel that I couldn't make that can for that amount of money (materials and the cost of my time to produce one part).

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

It works, and it's damn purdy. I had the homemade setup for a while, and It didn't take long for the filter to saturate and allow oil blow by into my induction system. So far, the hoses on the intake side of the can have been dry and the can is doing it's job. Oh yea, did I happen to mention that it's damn purdy...

Quick Reply: AMW catch can oil - after 1 week [pic]