Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

AMW catch can oil - after 1 week [pic]

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unklej
In my opinion the can was worth it. It's well engineered and aesthetically pleasing. It has steel mesh to aid in removing the oil from the airstream and machined rings to prevent oil from running up the side of the can and exiting from the outlet.

Can you explain more about these rings? Their website doesn't go into to detail. How do they let the oil in and keep it from going out? I wouldn't try to make one either. My time is too valuable and a piece of billet stock of those dimensions would cost a fortune. I was just toying with the idea of using a little aftermarket overflow can.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

well, the hose form the pcv goes into the top-center of the can where the oil gets precipitated out through the stainless steel mesh. The bottom of the mesh is roughly in the middle of the can. The oil then drips down to the bottom of the can and **(edit) the air** turns 180 deg (towards the top of the can) and exits out the outlet which is higher than the bottom of the mesh.

you can see what I mean by looking carefully at AMW web page http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

The rings machined in the inside diameter of the can help prevent the oil from climbing the inside wall (the direction of the airflow). From what I remember the notch is "V" shaped with the top part of the notch or "V" is in a horizontal position (or parallel to the top surface of the can).

I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
i fill mine up in about 2 weeks. with water that is. condensation is a problem in cold climates and it would be fine to send that thru the intake tract but the catch can pulls that out too. it's ok though, i dont want that oil in my turbo either.

I've had a lot of moisture in the system this winter, especially with a 160* tstat. May have to give the catch can a try.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I see now....thanks for the explaination unklej! You're right, that would be a bitch to make.

So did you guys notice any hp/tq gains, were you in fact able to run more timing/n2o/boost etc?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

No power increase, just peace of mind knowing that in 20k miles my motor wont have a layer of oil coating the intercooler/manifold/intake runners etc...
Old 01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i dont think it will directily give you power but there is a good chance it will keep a few hp from falling off from keeping the oil coating off of everything.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, I got mine, and I LOVE it. I get about a tbsp of oil every oil change out of mine, and my truck only has 9k on the clock. I am really glad that it isn't going into my intake.

Aaron
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

If you've got oil injestion problems - the oil has a very low octane rating so you're more likely to get knock. There could be some performance given up there.

I've been getting random KR, so I just ordered a can the other day.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What's so special about this catch can? $88 for a can with a petcock on it!?! There's gotta be a cheaper way. Is there some kind of filter in there other than the screen. This thing just looks like a glorified p-trap made out of billet aluminum. There better be some kinda SOTP gain for $88 + $25 for the bracket.
Here's a link to a homemade catchcan. I think about $30 in parts from Home Depot.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163466
Old 01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04sierra
Here's a link to a homemade catchcan. I think about $30 in parts from Home Depot.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163466
That's the same set-up I had and saturated in about a week.

Quick Reply: AMW catch can oil - after 1 week [pic]