Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Another Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Exhaust?

Hey guys....obviously I drive a 1996 Tahoe with the vortec 5.7...I was thinking about running Hooker long tube headers into a true dual exhaust with some sort of muffler, possibly something like a sweet thunder or powerstick, dumped underneath the truck...My first question is h or x pipe? And my second question is, is it possible to tune out the emissions codes on these motors so I don't have to run cats? I know its easy on the LSx style motor, but is it possible to do that on a truck this old? Also, any other muffler choices you guys wanna throw out there, please do...I am looking for something deep and ridiculously loud...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

anyone? not redneck like though, just demonic, if that makes sense...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

another ? if i had a pcmforless tune or something like that, would that tune out the codes? Also, if i got a tune like that, could they remove the governor so I can go over 102 mph...lol
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
Hey guys....obviously I drive a 1996 Tahoe with the vortec 5.7...I was thinking about running Hooker long tube headers into a true dual exhaust with some sort of muffler, possibly something like a sweet thunder or powerstick, dumped underneath the truck...My first question is h or x pipe? And my second question is, is it possible to tune out the emissions codes on these motors so I don't have to run cats? I know its easy on the LSx style motor, but is it possible to do that on a truck this old? Also, any other muffler choices you guys wanna throw out there, please do...I am looking for something deep and ridiculously loud...
I think the X-pipe is going to perform slightly better, as far as tuning on a '96 I dont know. On the newer PCM's you can remove the cats and delete the rear O2's with software.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

what about an x pipe of the stock manifolds into the mufflers dumper? I am on a budget, and I want to get rims so my truck has sound and looks...I am not looking for that much power right now...just something that looks/sounds bad ***...also, what size piping should I go with?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

ttt...before i go to bed...
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

just woke up...ttt...
Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would do dual 2 1/4" with an x pipe as far foward to the manifolds as you can and your choice of mufflers. My buddy had two sweet thunder chambered mufflers with dual 2 1/2" piping, high flow cats and midlength headers on his 98 silvy and it was very loud but sounded like ****, mostly because he never put an x pipe in which I told him to do. He now has a dual in dual out magnaflow which is 18" long and it sounds damn good but its no way as loud as before. And yes you could do pcm for less and have them remove the limiter and shut off the rear o2's. My other buddy has a 97 yukon with a nelson tuned pcm and loves it, it cost him about $325.

Alex
Old 02-04-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would go with a good header, x pipe, and maybe 2 magna flow mufflers with turndowns right in front of the axle. my uncle did this on his old truck. and it cost a total of like 500 bucks.
found the headers and mufflers on ebay. all we had to buy new was the tubing and x pipe.

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust?