Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

another Long Tube thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the pacesetters and call it a day, there are plenty of members running them and are happy
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

how much are the pacesetters running these days? have they gone down in price along with many of the other brands?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories

any thoughts on this product? The details sound good, not sure if it works on 4WD....

EDIT - hahahahaha funny, they just stole their description right out of pacesetters web page! unless these are pacesetters
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is way to much for them..
Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Banned

LPP's are China made SS Pacesetters....

I bought my headers directly from LPP for $350 shipped.I wanted my headers to be easily removed and replaced if i ever had to pull them down,same for the off road y pipe.I bought 3 ALL stainless steel v bands for $330(ouch!)I could have gotten mild steel v bands for 1/3 the price but I wanted somthing that would last....

Only bad thing about any of the made in China headers is that they "tink" The SS they are made of transfers sound very easily.All headers do it but the thinner SS does it worse...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew383
what brands are you looking at??? There are several 4x4 trucks here with headers ...
Didn't you have a set of LPP's? What was your impression of them?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tybardy

I have seen a few sets on Ebay that look really nice but the info most of the sellers is offering is sketchy and Ebay products cant be, ya know! Anyone know anything about these sets they sell on Ebay (some of them are DIRT cheap)

I dont know what the hell I want to do... I dont want to spend a 'G' because I am hoping to get headers AND and cam (or efans) at the same time and if I spend a guop on the headers there will be nothing left for the other goodies.
Here's a thread I made after buying a $320 set of the Ebay/OBX headers, complete with many pics of fitment on my 4wd Z71 truck, actual measurements of pipes, etc...

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=450962

They are advertised as having 1-3/4" primaries, but I personally measured my header primary tubes at 1-5/8" inside diameter. Some insist that this is a problem, but I'd disagree for the most part, after installing a set on my stock headed truck's 5.3 engine.
Hear me out...
When installing my cheap-o Ebay headers I re-used the stock factory exhaust gaskets. The gaskets did not cover, nor did they restrict the stock cylinder head's exhaust port at all. In other words, the stock exhaust port on my truck is the same size, or very slightly smaller than the stock GM steel shim gaskets. These stock gaskets also did not block or restrict the new header inlets either, which tells me (and anyone who has measured theirs) that the "Ebay/OBX" headers are the same size as the exhaust ports of the stock heads. What benefit is a header tube that is larger than the exhaust port? I'd agree it "should" help top end power, but the smaller header tubes "should" make more torque in the low end and midrange, which is where we all drive 90% of the time....just a thought.

BTW, they're also cheaper than PAINTED Pacesetter/ORY combo.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, there are many options out there for you. If you live in a climate where you get snow in the winter and they salt the roads, I highly recommend getting stainless steel headers. I love my StainlessWorks, they're definitely high quality headers with nice SOTP gains. I also have their catted y-pipe. I've used them for about 3 or 4 New Jersey winters and they're holding up great....not to mention the excellent customer service that I received from the guys at SW. Sounds like you're trying to budget a little more though, so maybe some LPP's or OBX's would suit you better. The LPP's have been hit or miss as far as fitment goes, but the OBX's (from ebay, basically old style Dynatech's) have been very consistent. Only problem to contend with on the OBX's is the one primary on the driver's side that has a "hump" to it which requires that you get creative to avoid burning spark plug wires (either zip-ties or a home made bracket should work).

Now if you live in a climate that sees no snow, you can go with the PaceSetters, although I'd recommend the coated ones over the "painted" ones. In my experience, the paint usually flakes off shortly after the initial start up on painted headers.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just go with the LLP's so you'll have$$ for other stuff

Originally Posted by tybardy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories

any thoughts on this product? The details sound good, not sure if it works on 4WD....

EDIT - hahahahaha funny, they just stole their description right out of pacesetters web page! unless these are pacesetters
those are pacesetters
Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Didn't you have a set of LPP's? What was your impression of them?
ya i have them on my silvy,i wasnt pleased with the fitment but overall i was pleased..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

man, lots of info here...

I live in Arizona, so weather is NOT an issue at all!!

So as it stands, with as much as I am trying to budget... the LPP's and Pacesetters seem to be about the same... but I was eyeballing those OBX style headers on Ebay, they really do look nice! I like that they do not use u-bolts to connect.

just curious... how much louder are long tubes going to make my truck? I have a magnaflow right now

Quick Reply: another Long Tube thread