Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Another muffler debate

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another muffler debate

I want to put a more free flowing muffler on my 6.0 Vortek. I don't want a loud truck, but I would like a litter more sound. I was thinking about the Flo-Pro. I have seen people write that the Flo-Pro was just as quiet as the stock exhaust.
Is the Flo-Pro a better flowing muffler ?
I notice on the Flo-Pro website that they offer mufflers with different sound levels. Look at the bottom of the page. http://www.flopro.com/fp2500oval.htm
When people say Flo-Pros are too quiet are the talking about the part #2505.
Or one of the more quiet mufflers?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of FlowPro, but I have a Magnaflow 14589 (5x11 oval, 3" in/out, 22" long) that will weld up directly in place of the stocker with no additional pipe needed (stock tailpipe retained).

It is very quiet while cruising, close to stock, but has a nice sound when you really get on it. it has your basic magnaflw design such that you can see straight through it, so it has to flow fairly well, I would think.

Here's a thread with some pics

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=379556
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, you can always weld in a bullet muffler to quiet it down even more if you want.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Default Flo-pro

I had a Flo-Pro 2504 sitting in the garage for several month and once it was on it was pretty good sound but almost as loud as my Gibson. So I went with a 2506 stock replacement muffler and it sounds great for hauling. Still has a slight rumble but not much more than stock. It or the magnaflow would be a great stock replacment piece. I did notice though that my gas milelage has dropped since I replaced the gibson. I am not sure why yet but it could be v/c the old was so loud I couldn't get into it.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

we put a magnaflow duel in duel out with an internal x pipe on my buddies HD and it sounds awesome
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have a part # or website for that Manaflo muffler ?

This is my current exhaust configuration.

The outside diameter of the pipes is 3 inches. Where the pipes come out of the muffler it Y's into one then exits behind the rear tire.
Is it gay to use the Y ? I want to keep my spare, and the shocks have wires going to them (ride control thingy) so I don't have much room for dual exit pipes. Any suggestions ? I need ideas.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

www.magnaflow.com PN#12469 is the one we used
Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
Anyone have a part # or website for that Manaflo muffler ?

The outside diameter of the pipes is 3 inches. Where the pipes come out of the muffler it Y's into one then exits behind the rear tire.
Is it gay to use the Y ? I want to keep my spare, and the shocks have wires going to them (ride control thingy) so I don't have much room for dual exit pipes. Any suggestions ? I need ideas.

Gibson makes a dual sport side swept exhaust kit for those trucks. It has dual pipes that run from the muffler to the stock side exit spot behind the rear tire. It fits over the axle fine, and since they don't point out the back, you won't loose your tire.

Cruizerman
Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Teching In

Trust me Stay Away from the Gibson. They might make a good system but not for that truck. The only thing it is good for is getting you pulled over everytime you go in town.

Corsa
Magnaflow
Flo-Pro

Unless you like the attention the local law enforcement gives you.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by sshillbilly
Trust me Stay Away from the Gibson. They might make a good system but not for that truck. The only thing it is good for is getting you pulled over everytime you go in town.

Corsa
Magnaflow
Flo-Pro

Unless you like the attention the local law enforcement gives you.
So are you saying that it is too loud? or obnoxious? Or do the cops just get jealous?

Quick Reply: Another muffler debate