Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

another nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another nitrous question

has anyone used the ZEX nitrous kits? is it worth the money? and why not use a dry shot of nitrous? everybody i have talked to says to use a dry shot cause i have fuel injection. but you guys on this site seem to know what ya'll are talking about so i am going to trust your opinion.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: another nitrous question

It's my alter ego!!!! ZEX kits are fine, just a little harder to get some parts. The reason your buddies are saying dry shot is because the PCM/MAF will adjust for the nitrous by adding more fuel. I prefer a wet kit because it does not rely on the PCM and MAF to make those calculations. I had a dry shot once and due to a lean condition, I fried a piston. The only thing I can guess was that it didn't add enough fuel and my misjudgement of running an HPPIII at the same time with power tunning installed. Dry kits are great if your already running rich and some guys have never had any problems running up to 125 dry shot. I won't do it again though. With a wet kit, you could go up to 250 shot and more, but your engine won't like it. The internals will be at risk of breaking at that point. My suggestion for a dry kit is to play safe with no more than 100 shot. If you have the ability to run AutoTap or a similar diagnostic reader, you could go higher. But all it takes to run a wet kit is about $100 more than a dry kit.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: another nitrous question

What about a 50 shot? Would wet be overkill? Would dry be the way to go just for simplicity sake? The Zex wet kits say that they automatically adjust the fuel to the bottle pressure....which would seem like a pretty good advantage b/c with say a NX kit, your always going to be dumping the same amount of fuel in no matter if your bottle is full or almost empty. I wonder if the zex electronic control takes the place of a fpss?