Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Any positives to just gutting the cats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sell the cats to a junkyard too right?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just have a custom offroad y-pipe (ORY) fabbed using the same flange points and keep the original Y with cats in the garage. This will allow you to throw the catted y back on if needed (inspection/cops).
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
The Cats are restrictive. And I just deleted my cats, and you WILL feel a noticable diffrence above the 3000 rpm power band (contrary to popular statments). But, you'll probably notice a loss on the low rpm side (torque). But just gutting the converters does cause a wee bit of turbulance in the system and I just ain't a fan of the shitty sound that it produces. It will sound much better just taking them off and using pipe.

It's been shown on F-bodies, which have larger displacements, that cats cost 5hp WITH HEADERS. You didn't feel 3-5 hp. It was in your head/ears, dude.

I doubt you lost any low end torque either. Hopefuly, one day i will understand why people think backpressure = torque.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/backpressure.html

Not a flowmaster fan here but this is some interesting info nun the less.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03GMC
I can sell the cats to a junkyard too right?
some metal scrap yards will give you money for them . . . exhaust shops use them as cores for new ones.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
It's been shown on F-bodies, which have larger displacements, that cats cost 5hp WITH HEADERS. You didn't feel 3-5 hp. It was in your head/ears, dude.

I doubt you lost any low end torque either. Hopefuly, one day i will understand why people think backpressure = torque.
Listen dude...lol....I didn't say Backpressure = Torque nor will we have that discussion on here again.

But maybe you should try it for yourself. Take a 4000lb truck and cut the muffler off it and run a straight pipe out....you will notice a loss in the low end powerband. If you can't notice this.....then I feel for ya!

I can't feel 3 to 5 horsepower...you're right...lol...but I can feel that my car and my truck pulls a hell of a lot harder after the 3000 rpm mark, since we've installed the LT's on it.

**** dude, ask 100 people on here if they feel a diffrence after they do this particualr mod, and 99 of them will tell you they also feel a diffrence.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Listen dude...lol....I didn't say Backpressure = Torque nor will we have that discussion on here again.

But maybe you should try it for yourself. Take a 4000lb truck and cut the muffler off it and run a straight pipe out....you will notice a loss in the low end powerband. If you can't notice this.....then I feel for ya!

I can't feel 3 to 5 horsepower...you're right...lol...but I can feel that my car and my truck pulls a hell of a lot harder after the 3000 rpm mark, since we've installed the LT's on it.
Long tubes are a little different gutted cats
**** dude, ask 100 people on here if they feel a diffrence after they do this particualr mod, and 99 of them will tell you they also feel a diffrence.
Who cares what they think will feel. They are hearing it or it's in their head. even 10hp wont yeild you a tenth of a second in these trucks for most people. You are going to tell me you can feel less than 0.1 seconds in a 15 second run? It's even less for around town punches. It's in your head and you're just hearing it- like it or not. 99/100 People that drop acid will tell you they saw things; it doesn't mean those things were real.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Going to have them done in an hour. $75 and hes the only guy in the area that will even touch it. I also have to drive to the next city to get it done. Hes just going to cut out my cats and replace them with pipe.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Long tubes are a little different gutted cats

Who cares what they think will feel. They are hearing it or it's in their head. even 10hp wont yeild you a tenth of a second in these trucks for most people. You are going to tell me you can feel less than 0.1 seconds in a 15 second run? It's even less for around town punches. It's in your head and you're just hearing it- like it or not. 99/100 People that drop acid will tell you they saw things; it doesn't mean those things were real.
....BUT IT DOES MEAN ONE THING..............THAT WAS SOME DAMN GOOD ACID.......LOL.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03GMC
Going to have them done in an hour. $75 and hes the only guy in the area that will even touch it. I also have to drive to the next city to get it done. Hes just going to cut out my cats and replace them with pipe.

That's the way to go friend!

Quick Reply: Any positives to just gutting the cats?