Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Any suggestions on good water pump gasket maker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions on good water pump gasket maker?

So considering my waterpump was leaking from the gasket a bit, I decided to re-seal. The gasket was completely worn out, the second I started unbolting the pump, water drained out. There was 0 hold on the seal. Looks like whoever had the truck before me did some engine work as the cam cover had been opened and used a shitty seal for the pump.

I was going to us Ultra grey RTV. Is there perhaps a better sealing product to use or is this good enough?

Also, there is a cover at the back of the pump itself. Should I take that off and re-seal it as well?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I'm assuming we are working on a gen III engine here? If so just get the correct replacement GM gaskets for it. They are aluminum rubber seals and do a good job. The original orange colored seal gaskets are crap. The latest and greatest is black rubber and they work good and are cheap. I wouldn't even mess with resealing the pump. If its not leaking don't bother it. The pump will inevitably leak, they all do on a gen III. I would just put gaskets on it now and then later on when the pump leaks do it all again.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oldred95
I'm assuming we are working on a gen III engine here? If so just get the correct replacement GM gaskets for it. They are aluminum rubber seals and do a good job. The original orange colored seal gaskets are crap. The latest and greatest is black rubber and they work good and are cheap. I wouldn't even mess with resealing the pump. If its not leaking don't bother it. The pump will inevitably leak, they all do on a gen III. I would just put gaskets on it now and then later on when the pump leaks do it all again.
Well, I decided to take your suggestion and got GM gaskets. And holy crap are they different. They look re-useable. They're made of thick soft aluminum, soft enough to fill in defects when tight and the pump holes surrounded by hard rubber, kind of like an o-ring. Really nicely designed. I put em on, started her up and she's all good. Now I don't have to worry about weather or not the seal will deteriorate again...only about how long it'll take before the pump's bearings go, lol.