Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anybody have a MagnaCharger RADIX system yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody have a MagnaCharger RADIX system yet?

Just wondering how you like it. I hear the MP112 is the same blower that the Ford Lightning uses. What type of power are those guys getting outta the stock blower? Just wondering what the MP112 is capable of.

John
Old 05-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Default Re: Anybody have a MagnaCharger RADIX system yet?

Doing a little searching on some Lightning sites and it seems that the M112 is the stock blower on the Lightning. The <font color="red">MP112<!--color--></font> is evidently bigger due to the inlet locations on the cases.

So the question still stands. How much power are the Ford guys getting outta the stock M112 blowers? The MP112 blower that comes with the Magnacharger kit for GM's should be able to support just a little more power.

I've got an email into Magnacharger but, thought someone might know.

John
Old 05-11-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since you brought it up. (LONG BUT WORTH READING)I have been doing a little research. My dad has a lightning and i have found interesting things while searching for parts for it.

Here is what i was thinking. I like the design of the radix sys alot. The only thing i do not like about it is the eaton 112 blower that sits atop of it. The eaton 112 flows only 700cfm's compared to a prochargers 1200cfm's.

I was thinking all the guys with lightnings are changing there blowers from the eaton to a kenne bell and it is a direct replacment. I researched the k/b but could not figure out how much it flowed(cfm's). But the good thing about the k/b it will support like 22 psi. at any rmp. Were the eaton roots style blower starts to drop boost about 5,500 rpm's. Also the k/b screw type charger has less parisetic loss and runns cooler.

My thoughts were to take a radix intake and put a k/b blowzilla blower for a cobra on it. and use the rest of the radix kit also. I have not seen a radix sys in person so i dont knoe how easy the swap would be. Also you use the cobra style because the air inlet is in the back. With some minor modifications i feel this setup could be made to work fairly easy but with some custom machining.

The benifets of this system over any other would be that is has the low end and has a good intercooler. Also i feel the only other high performance blower is the procharger. But the heat is a big problem for them. (Most) of the kits out are for stock aplications and i feel that they do not flow enough for built motors. With the exception of the pro charger and the modified radix i explained. I am not saying the others will not support built motors but that you will not get as much out of them.

Lastly i have stoped researching and have not seen if magnacharger will sell seprate pieces of the rad sys. Aslo i have not called and talked to people i was going to that have had first hand experience with these systems.
Ryan
Old 05-11-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Radix in my Tahoe the system is killer.I've already managed to destroy my transmission and rearend.When they are replaced I'm expecting 12s.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Wow! Pretty good info there sleeper. I did read something on a Lightning site that the MP112 that the GM kit uses actually acts like a 23% bigger blower due to the fact it is a rear inlet instead of a top inlet like the M112 that the Lightning uses. It had something to due with the rotor surface being used to compress the air or something. Now using your 700cfm for the M112 that would make the MP112 capable of ~860cfm. That would equal ~590flywheel hp. The Flowzilla looks like it is good to 675hp so it would be nice if it could be used on the RADIX manifold.

Parish8 - What's your whipple good for airflow wise?

whitt1 - What type of boost are you running again? What does the rest of your setup consist of?

Somebody needs to make a turbo kit for the trucks.

John
Old 05-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think the radix SC with its intercooled system is by far the way to go for a street daily driver. The intake temps with a intercooler are easier on the engine. Thats why there are NO factory produced supercharged cars WITHOUT intercoolers. Just look at the Mercedes, LIghtning, Mustang SVT, Cooper Mini.

As far as I know the intercooler with the radix kit is sandwiched between the supercharger and intake SO using the intercooler with a different superharger dosent seem possible.

I think it would be interesting to see if high boost levels on a non intercooled SC actually make considerably more power than LOWER boost levels on a intercooled SC. I would think the hot intake air on a higher boost non intercooled SC would actually make less hp.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Teching In

I have a Radix on my 01 Silverado. It is a well engineered system, takes about 8-10 hours to install your first time, and produces 7 1/2-8lbs of boost. The instructions are a little vague in areas especially in the intercooler mounting part. The first systems came with an MSD Boost-A-Pump for fuel enrichment but the newer ones come with a supplimentary fuel pump. Magnacharger will upgrade the older systems for free. I only got to drive my truck with the supercharger for about 1 1/2 weeks before my daughter wrecked my truck but it was awesome. Can't wait to get it back! If you do install one, do yourself a favor and upgrade your rear end with an Eaton posi and atleast do a shift kit and billet servo install in the tranny BEFORE you add the supercharger! The roots type superchargers build power down low in the RPM band unlike the centrificals which build their power higher up in RPM. This makes them a little harder on the drivetrain.
Karl
Old 05-12-2003, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got one on my Suburban and as soon as I get it tuned I'll give you a report. I threw a little too much at the computer(RADIX+2002 Z06 cam +2002 Z06 heads) even with the micro tuner from Magnuson it throwing codes and won't idle when it warms up. It looks bitchin though. I got LS-1 edit this weekend and hopefully the cables wil be delivered today. I'll post dyno #'s once I get it tuned.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:48 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whipple is a 2.3L, or about 140ci, i know that isn't a flow rating but it is 28ci larger than the 112 and it is a twin screw wich is suppose to be a little more eficient.

i really dont think the radix system would get you much boost on a low compresion built 422 or anything like that. i think the whipple would have a much better chance of feeding an engine like that but then it would be hot air. of course an intercooled turbo setup would be the **** and if anyone makes one i will be changing.

here is what i would like to do. forged everything 408 with heads and cam, 9-1 compresion 7-8psi of non intercooled whipple boost and a 200shot(when needed). prety sure i would see some 11's without nitrous and who knows but i would think a 10.xx would be posiable with the spray. someday swap it over to a turbo set up once a kit comes out and run 10+psi intercooled.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just intercool the Whipple I will eventually (about 4 months). Here is the Lysholm website with all of the information about the Whipple twin screws. Kenne Bell twin screws are made by Autorotor, IHI makes twin screws for Mercedes and those are the only twin screw SC companies out there. Kenne Bell and Whipple are the only companies who have contracted to sell them here in the US right now. Eaton has just contracted with Lysholm to put their SC on production cars/trucks. The new Lightning is going to be twin screw super charged.
Anyway, here is a site to the Lysholm SC (the one I think that comes with the Whipple truck kits is model #2300AX) Lysholm website
The Whipple puts out a little over 1,000cfms at 14,000rpms. Lysholm says the redline for the 2300AX twin screw is 13,000rpms.
I got the information from this Lysholm graph: good luck on interpreting it.
[image]http://www.rotor.se/lysholm/PDF/diagram_lys2300ax.pdf[/image]

Well, image link did not work. If you want to see it, click here

Quick Reply: Anybody have a MagnaCharger RADIX system yet?