Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is anybody running a vortech blower on 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anybody running a vortech blower on 5.3?

Just wondering if anybody here is running a Vortech blower on a 5.3 liter? My buddy has a 02 Tahoe and is thinking about adding a blower. Frankly he cant afford the Radix so I figured the Vortech may be good for him. Anybody running this kit themselves or know someone who is? Got any dyno graphs or track times? Please dont post how the Radix has a more useable power band, I know that but its either the vortech or nothing for awhile.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

I have a non intercooler vortech on my Tahoe. You can do a search on some of the issues Ive had...mostly due to the fact that it wasnt intercooled. Its definately not a blower that you can slap on and notice a huge difference. Another guy on here, I forget his name, has an intercooled vortech or paxton (same thing) on his truck and put down like 380 rwhp with pretty much no other supporting mods.
Ive since added LT headers, a new intake, and a pregressive meth system (with a few other little things on the way), but the intake tube has to be modified to fit the larger bypass valve so that a smaller pulley can be used. Im hoping to hit of be close to 400 rwhp when its retuned.
Any other questions??
Old 10-13-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

What kind of numbers did you put down? My buddy isnt going to be pullying it up or anything hes just going to run the kit as it is hes not much of a track feind he just wants to give his truck alittle more speed.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
What kind of numbers did you put down? My buddy isnt going to be pullying it up or anything hes just going to run the kit as it is hes not much of a track feind he just wants to give his truck alittle more speed.
On my original dyno session I had the stock airbox and temps around 100* I put down only 279rwhp. A week later with a modiified airbox and 80* air I put down like 312. The non intercooled vortech arent too great in the heat.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

If I had it to do over I wouldve swapped in a 6.0 and cam instead. In the end the vortech will be fun, but I will be running 10# on a cammed 6.0 too.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maddboost
Just wondering if anybody here is running a Vortech blower on a 5.3 liter? My buddy has a 02 Tahoe and is thinking about adding a blower. Frankly he cant afford the Radix so I figured the Vortech may be good for him. Anybody running this kit themselves or know someone who is? Got any dyno graphs or track times? Please dont post how the Radix has a more useable power band, I know that but its either the vortech or nothing for awhile.
I have a Kenne Bell and am very happy with the power gains and the quality of the system just wasn't very happy with the service. However Kenne Bell is working with me now to resolve some issues. All in all a nice piece of equiptment.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Is the Intercooled ATI Procharger too expensive for him?? If not I'd take that over the Vortech....

Then again, you know my take on turbo's vs blowers :p
Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Is the Intercooled ATI Procharger too expensive for him?? If not I'd take that over the Vortech....

Then again, you know my take on turbo's vs blowers :p
Thats a good point. I know the STS system was around 3600 to start, but heard something about them raising prices.
.....and the procharger is almost the exact same price and has an intercooler. That would be a better system for what he is looking for IMO if he wont go for a turbo.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was slamming your system. I just felt that for this guy the ATI would be better if he was just stuck on a blower due to the intercooler.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

I always heard that the newer Intercooled Vortech SC can really throw down some HP an more speed. I seen a 03 scsb 5.3 with only a Vortech SC an tune, run a high 13 at the track before. An my friend just got a 01 mustang GT, with only a HPP3 an Vortech SC, he ran mid 12s. I know its a mustang, but it still throws down a good amount of power with just a SC an HPP3. So I cant say anthing bad about the Vortech SCs, just make sure he get a intercooled one. Even if its only for play, it will help the life of the engine thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Is anybody running a vortech blower on 5.3?