Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is anybody running a vortech blower on 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the vortech systems are good, and not slamming your system greentahoe, I think that the ATI systems are better, first you dont have to tap the oil pan to recirculate oil in the supercharger like the vortech, and if you ever seen oil at 3000 I would want that going through a 3500 blower. But I think know that turbo systems are the way to go. You can make the same rwhp out of a turbo that you can with the supercharger with half the boost! Look at the Popular Hotrodding article were they made 120 rwhp with a ls1 with a mere 5 pounds of boost! I recall them making 540 or so rwhp with meth injection and 8 pounds of boost, with just a new air lid! I think the STS sytem would be a far better choice than a Vortech at 3700 dollars
Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Yea, im with bigbody, I have seen some good strong HP come out of those Intercooled Vortech SCs. I would like buy one, then add alittle shot of N20. But I know that the newer Turbos are showing some good Hp gains to. But I dont know much about the STS systems yet.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Sorry bro, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was slamming your system. I just felt that for this guy the ATI would be better if he was just stuck on a blower due to the intercooler.
No prob man, Im agreeing with you . Facts are facts. Im OK with my decision since I plan to add the aftercooler with meth for the 6.0. I personally like the idea of running off engine oil. I dont drive much and get my oil changed every 2500. The other benefit is that most agree the engine oil will be a little bit cooler since there is a larger supply and it is recirculated.
All in all there are better systems than the Vortech for the money.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ATI's may give a bit better power kit for kit, but I know a bunch more people that have to have them rebuilt than the vortechs. So the oil from the engine idea can't be that bad.
I guess it is all a trade off.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Second Truck Club

My intercooled vortech runs pretty good,and its not even hard to tap the oil pan. Very nice kit has exactly what you need. Curt
Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TIRBRNR
My intercooled vortech runs pretty good,and its not even hard to tap the oil pan. Very nice kit has exactly what you need. Curt
I want 511 rwhp Your setup is awesome!! I have some questions for you
Old 10-14-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TIRBRNR
How did you get an intercooled kit? Was it custom made?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Is the Intercooled ATI Procharger too expensive for him?? If not I'd take that over the Vortech....

Then again, you know my take on turbo's vs blowers :p
But isnt the Procharger kit almost as much as the Magnacharger kit? If money wasnt an consideration he would opt for the Magnacharger cause of it being a better street suited system but money is a concern.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
But isnt the Procharger kit almost as much as the Magnacharger kit? If money wasnt an consideration he would opt for the Magnacharger cause of it being a better street suited system but money is a concern.
TIRBRNR has a custom aftercooler setup that looks similiar to the kit Vortech offers. Vortech's intercooled kit is close in price to the RAdix though
The Procharger is almost the same price as the Vortech. The difference is negligable at best.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by maddboost

I thought the ATI intercooled kit was about $4k. I could be mixed up though and looking at my pricing from a distributor.

IMO yes, if they were the same price then I would go with the Radix for sure, unless this was a full on drag race truck. Street truck with no converter and centrifugal = me cringing. LOL

Quick Reply: Is anybody running a vortech blower on 5.3?