Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anybody using a valve cover "Breather"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4.8T
if you don't have it going to the intake at all i don't see why not put one on both sides that way it can vent as well a possible. old school eng have them on both.
you can do that but I didnt bother with it as the other crankcase vent that leads to the TB doesnt have vacumm nor does it suck up oil.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic guys.
I would like to know if I can eliminate the line going back to the TB from the passenger side valve cover. My STS kit has a solenoid control valve there so I'm not sure if it needs to vent back to the TB or not.
I do get some substantial oil comming out of the filter I have on there now.
Enough to need some type of catch container to keep it off my exhaust and everything else.
Here is a pic of my set up.
That little filter is dry in these pics but soaked with oil and dripping all over everthing now. I'm going to rig up something temporary for now.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
you can do that but I didnt bother with it as the other crankcase vent that leads to the TB doesnt have vacumm nor does it suck up oil.
So the drivers side with the PVC is the bitch that send oil back into the intake? That is just plain dumb on GMs part. There should be some type of oil reclaiming vessel that filters it back into the engine not just burn it up in the intake!!
So does the passenger side vent even need to go back to the TB or can I just block that retun port on the upper passenger side of the TB off, and vent the line to a filter or catch can?

Last edited by TG02Z71; 02-17-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kano
Im a little confused with this statement

please clarify your thoughts on how the pcv system and pcm communicate

I dont see where they do

Well Kano, to be more honest about it than I'd really like to be in public, I'm a little confused as to what the **** I was thinking at that point. My ignorance really came to the front & center. It somehow just didn't seem right to me to open up that system but what that gut feeling has to do with the puter I can't imagine. Thanks for saying that you were a little confused... as opposed to just frankly telling me that I was being stupid
Later Jim
Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
So the drivers side with the PVC is the bitch that send oil back into the intake? That is just plain dumb on GMs part. There should be some type of oil reclaiming vessel that filters it back into the engine not just burn it up in the intake!!
So does the passenger side vent even need to go back to the TB or can I just block that retun port on the upper passenger side of the TB off, and vent the line to a filter or catch can?
you need what is called a 'puke tank'......old school again but let me educate some. Once upon a time.......high reving boat engines and drag engines, especially ones that were supercharged would run puke tanks. These are basically small tanks (say maybe 1/2 a quart worth of volume or less) with a inlet, usually on the bottom or on the side of the tank and an outlet on top of the tank with a filter on it. This tank has to be mounted above the valve covers. The theory behind this setup is as follows. When the engine is reving high and there is a large amount of positive pressure in the crankcase the oil is pushed out of the breather tube into the puke tank where it can accumulate. It does not however come out of the filter on top of the tank or you have bigger problems.

Then as engine speed decreases and the crankcase pressure subsides gravity kicks in and the oil is drained back from the puke tank to the valve covers. It works very well. No PCV valve required. Usually the puke tanks were run in pairs or some would mount a single tank with 2 inlets and one vent. They would usually vent from both valve covers but this not absolutely necessary.

See attached pic of a dual inlet puke tank. Notice the valve covers in the rear of the photo. I think you can figure out the rest. Not complex at all, but a proven design and very effective. Can be mounted just about anywhere above the valve covers

Last edited by smooth sierra; 02-17-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=smooth sierra]you need what is called a 'puke tank'......old school again but let me educate some. Once upon a time.......high reving boat engines and drag engines, especially ones that were supercharged would run puke tanks. These are basically small tanks (say maybe 1/2 a quart worth of volume or less) with a inlet, usually on the bottom or on the side of the tank and an outlet on top of the tank with a filter on it. This tank has to be mounted above the valve covers. The theory behind this setup is as follows. When the engine is reving high and there is a large amount of positive pressure in the crankcase the oil is pushed out of the breather tube into the puke tank where it can accumulate. It does not however come out of the filter on top of the tank or you have bigger problems.

Then as engine speed decreases and the crankcase pressure subsides gravity kicks in and the oil is drained back from the puke tank to the valve covers. It works very well. No PCV valve required. Usually the puke tanks were run in pairs or some would mount a single tank with 2 inlets and one vent. They would usually vent from both valve covers but this not absolutely necessary.

See attached pic of a dual inlet puke tank. Notice the valve covers in the rear of the photo. I think you can figure out the rest. Not complex at all, but a proven design and very effective. Can be mounted just about anywhere above the valve covers

Thanks for the schooling, Looks like something I can make myself without too much trouble.
Just a canister mounted above the valve cover so it can gravity drain back to the engine but also open so it can breath.
A stainless mesh filter inside would help slow down the puking effect under high or sustained boost levels, no belching out the vented area.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great topic guys.
I would like to know if I can eliminate the line going back to the TB from the passenger side valve cover. My STS kit has a solenoid control valve there so I'm not sure if it needs to vent back to the TB or not.
I do get some substantial oil comming out of the filter I have on there now.
Enough to need some type of catch container to keep it off my exhaust and everything else.
Here is a pic of my set up.
That little filter is dry in these pics but soaked with oil and dripping all over everthing now. I'm going to rig up something temporary for now.

maybe i missed it but do you have just stock pcv on the driver side still going to the intake if so thats where you get a problem you turbo will cause postive pressure in the manifold and will charge you crank cause cia your pcv those don't hold pressure back from what i can tell and it will cause more pressure and cause it to come out you passenger side
Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.8T
maybe i missed it but do you have just stock pcv on the driver side still going to the intake if so thats where you get a problem you turbo will cause postive pressure in the manifold and will charge you crank cause cia your pcv those don't hold pressure back from what i can tell and it will cause more pressure and cause it to come out you passenger side
Yes I still have the stock PVC system on the rear drivers side. I have to come up with some parts and a plan to get rid of all this oil belching nonsense.
No emmisions in my county....good for me I guess.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

If you vent both the passenger side and Driver's side PCV to the atmosphere you still need to leave the Hobbs switch connected to the line to the TB. You will need to block the PCV line into the manifold on the driver's side and the line out of the Hoobs switch. The Hoobs switch will turn the Oil Return Pump onto high speed when the engine is under boost. You will then be able to remove the STS solenoid but you must wire the Hoobs switch to run the oil pump on high speed when the engine is under boost. With FI both sides of the PCV system are under boost and it must be allowed to vent to the atmosphere which is what the STS solenoid does. That is why you are getting oil on the passenger side. When the engine is under boost the PCV line on the driver's side allows boost pressure into the crankcase and that is vented to the atmosphere on the passenger side with the STS system. This picks up some oil from the passenger side valve cover and that is what you are getting through your filter on the passenger side.

Everything clear as dirty oil on your engine?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Its all clear Jim, I was planning on leaving ths STS control valve on there, just encasing the puke line into something to catch and return the ralphed up oil back to the engine.
Thanks guys.
And thanks for starting this thread, it could not have come at a better time.

Quick Reply: Anybody using a valve cover "Breather"?