Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone dyno a TB spacer before and after?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dyno a TB spacer before and after?

Well just as I asked, does anyone have any conclusive evidence these actually work or are they just a gimmick? I am a bit apprehensive on shelling out $100 or so on one of these if they do nothing.

Where's our dyno *****...SmokeUr5.0 at?
Old 06-21-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Anyone dyno a TB spacer before and after?

I'll sell you mine if you want it for 75 and we can swap the bolts for the tb since my truck is so disassembled.

Marc
Old 06-21-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

It helped with my throttle response also and not sure about the sotp meter.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Teching In

I put the throttle body spacer (poweraid) and electric fans and gained about .3 off of my et's.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Darn, I was hoping it would be worth some power. Someone has had to dyno one...

Marc...what brand is your TB spacer? Any MPG improvment out of it?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Teching In

It did add power, but it added more torque than power I think. It helped down low and yes it also helped my fuel milage.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know, I think they are good, if you drill them out, then use them for nitrous needles, so that you have a clean install for nitrous, but I have read consumer reports, and Truck Trends magazines, and both of these places tested them on several vehicles and dyno tested them with ZERO results. Just like the Tornado, ZERO results. I think that they are just like sugar pills, if you believe it in your mind that it works, then it works for your wether it does or not.

I hope I don't **** off anyone, but I don't see either of those reputable magazines forging up stories to drive companies bankrupt, I see these companies trying to screw as many people out of their money as possible.

Come on! It's like watching those, "take two pills a day, and your ***** will grow 25%. If this stuff really worked, it would be posted on all the local news stations. Just like earn 50,000 bucks a day with my 3 easy steps. If it worked everyone would do it! What can a 3/4" thick piece of metal with some small little twists do to your motor. Do you believe that the air will still swirl throught the vortec of the intake manifold. Chevy made the Vortec motor, becuase of its setup was designed to swirl the air in the first place, getting a more even flow of air to each of the cylinders, creating a better mix of the fuel mist, thus the creation of "VORTEC MOTORS"! Lets se, the TB spacer is then after it swirls past the intake manifold and the 5 to 6 bends in there, then throught the oblong intake holes, past a hugely angled valve, and into the cyclinder hole, still maintaining the swirl to thus add more O2 to the fuel, COME ON, GIVE ME BREAK! Don't fall for it. Consumer reports found that two vehicles tested with the Tornado actually lost horsepower since the tornado actually disrupted the airflow into the motor. Horsepower TV on TNN just dynoed an AIRFOIL, that is garunteed to give you 15hp, and it made NO improvement, and they threw it off to the side, saying we were just curious if this would actually work, and if anyone watched, did you see the looks on thier faces, like they were trying to prove a point!

Another rip off is slick 50, and the other addatives. I was fooled by this gimmick, which EA Labs, and consumer reports tested over 80,000 miles on taxi cabs in New York, and tore the motors apart, finding no discernable difference in wear from a motor running regular oil, to one running Slick 50. It was interesting, that the 2 taxi's that ran Synthetic oil, had a noticable less wear on the cylinder rings, and bearings though. Also it was interesting that the cars that had 3000 mile oil changes had the same amount of wear as the vehicles with 7500 mile oil changes, hmmmmmmm! Well, I put slick 50 in my 90 454ss pickup, and then it would barely idle when cold, and would hesitate until warmed up. I then lost about 2 mpg on the average. The Slick 50 hurt my motor. It was too thick of an addative, and hurt my oil pump, thus causing loss of oilflow in my motor, which in turn damaged the bearings in my motor. That was a hell of a $1200 mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's also interesting that slick 50, Prolong, and one other oil addative company have a lawsuit against them by a major bleach manufacturing company, since the main ingrideant in those mixxes, IS BLEACH. Oh if you didn't know, bleach is a super slippery substance, that is known to help break down the chain links in automotive oil.

Well, I hope I wasn't venting to much. The information is out there, just need to look for it. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!
Old 06-21-2003, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I posted about that Airfoil in another thread, 0 HP increase! Hahhahaha. That was highly comical the dumbfounded looks, they were like "WTF, no power?". 2rwhp on a Twin 58mm TB! hahahaa. What a waste too.

Man I wish I had free dibs for a dyno. I would get one from Summit and dyno it to prove this point once and for all about those spacers. If it really sucks as bad as I think it does, I could just send it back.

I just need some concrete proof (like Horsepower TV) to dyno one or someone on this board who has free access to a dyno to try this out.

3000mi oil changes are BS I know for sure. I don't think I'd push dino oil past about 5000mi but full synthetic oils I go 6000-8000mi easily between changes. I think Red Line is around 7500mi. Amsoil has absurdly long times too.

My buddy put some B12 in his oil to clean out the crankcase (as per the included instructions on the can) and lost both head gaskets and valve seals on his Turbo Buick! Needless to say anything but oil inside your motor is bad, bad news. Those are like those "fuel injector cleaners" that you pour in the gas tank. Those clean out nothing but your pocketbook. Keep your hard earned cash from these too.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a poweraid and i have a heavy foot so mpg is useless :p
Old 06-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

I had a Helix when I first got my truck which was NA...it felt a little more torquey on the low end but I lost some top end power! Funny thing is if you measure the spacer it is actually 2mm smaller than the TB which actually blocks flow at high speeds!

Better to just buy one without the swirl marks...I found a guy that sells just the 1" spacer on ebay for less than $40 brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

I'm installing mine so I can install two extra injectors in it for extra fuel under boost.

Ken

Quick Reply: Anyone dyno a TB spacer before and after?