Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)

slow why dont u just shut the hell up, i never called u any names. u'd probably beat me cuz u got a cam, where im stock internals. take the cam off and ill race u anyday and guarantee its no more than a car apart. biioootch
Old 09-20-2003, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, come on, you're boosting DemonSilverdo's thread. He didn't want the 5.3 vs. 4.8 debate, just the 4.8 numbers. 5.3's are more powerful, that's a fact we all know. You throw two trucks with equal specs(weight, configuration gears), one with a 5.3 and one with a 4.8 the 5.3 should beat them. By how much is the topic for another thread (or better yet a video). Let's get back to the 4.8 number discussion. I am curious how he could be losing over 30% through the drivetrain. What can he do to check or tune it up?
Old 09-20-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock for stock who cares, no ones stock anyway
Old 09-20-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Last night a Famoso Race Way my little 4.8L beat a whipple charged 5.3. Oh My God, is the world going to end? A 4.8 with a beter driver is beating a poor driver with more motor.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Banned

how big is your shot golden?
Old 09-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Guys, come on, you're boosting DemonSilverdo's thread. He didn't want the 5.3 vs. 4.8 debate, just the 4.8 numbers. 5.3's are more powerful, that's a fact we all know. You throw two trucks with equal specs(weight, configuration gears), one with a 5.3 and one with a 4.8 the 5.3 should beat them. By how much is the topic for another thread (or better yet a video). Let's get back to the 4.8 number discussion. I am curious how he could be losing over 30% through the drivetrain. What can he do to check or tune it up?

Thank you very much. I asked nicely not to have my thread hijacked.

I'm sick of hearing who can beat what...I DONT CARE.

All I want to know is how i'm losing so much power, with my TQ being so high. And how I can fix it.

I have decided that detonation may be a factor...

The soloutions I have been given are to run higher octane gas and change the T-Stat.

So my plan now is to have Lyndon re-program the PCM for 93 (currently at 91) octane, and run 93 octane with a small octane booster. And i'm going to swawp out the T-Stat, my question is...

What temp T-Stat should I switch to?????

Thanks in advance for your help and for ending the trash talk in this thread.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This small ***** syndrome is never ending.... Happey trolling Thunder....
Old 09-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Banned

well, the tstat thing is up to you, just depends on how cool you want your truck to run. i have a 180 in mine and it never ever gets above 180 no matter what kind of traffic i'm in or how i'm driving or anything. i have no problems at all. if you were losing HORSEPOWER due to detonation you would also be losing TORQUE so that's probably not your problem.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Launching!

well, the tstat thing is up to you, just depends on how cool you want your truck to run. i have a 180 in mine and it never ever gets above 180 no matter what kind of traffic i'm in or how i'm driving or anything. i have no problems at all. if you were losing HORSEPOWER due to detonation you would also be losing TORQUE so that's probably not your problem.
I had the same thoughts. But I cant come up with any other answers. I think i'll proally go with the 180 T-Stat.

Swapping the T-Stat won't have any negative effects will it? I mean if there is nothing negative, I might as well do it just to eliminate that problem.

If anyone around central OK has a scanner let me know i'd be happy to send some cash your way if you'll let me use it to try to diagnose the problem.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

how big is your shot golden?
At/about 60HP. The track was very slipery and I just out drove the guy, the throttle has more then just off and on especially whith poor traction. His truck was also a heavier x-cab, wideside, and a system. I had about 600lbs on him.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)