Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)

What temp T-Stat should I switch to?????

We are only a few months away from winter. I think you would be better off with a 180 in winter.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:21 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

demonsilverado i have a 180 stat i'll let you buy alot cheaper than a new one was only installed for one month and about 300 miles if you want it pm me and we can talk,
Old 09-21-2003, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

I made 251 RWHP with K&N FIPK2 intake, cat-back exhaust, and a Hypertech programmer.
Damn < not to be a jerk but that seems a bit high. Was that on a DynoJet ? Seems a bit high compared to other 4.8s i have seen.
Red... I have video and the dyno sheet to prove it man. It was a Dyno Day last summer at MTI. Made the run in 93* heat too, 1.00 correction factor. The dyno guy was pretty surprised at how high of numbers I made as well... guess I got a beast with the worst piston slap possible

p.s. Run was made in 3rd gear with 31.3 inch Michelin LTX tires.
The reason i say that is because you made more rwhp than my 5.3 with only a UPD, Single 40 series flowmaster, and Predator, I made 246 rwhp and 304rwtq. I had 295/50 r16s on as well so some pretty wide tires as well.

Hyperlite i am sure you have beat some 5.3s. You probably know how to drive your truck well. But in all reality stock for stock a 5.3 should beat a 4.8 in the same size truck
Old 09-21-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hyperlite i am sure you have beat some 5.3s. You probably know how to drive your truck well. But in all reality stock for stock a 5.3 should beat a 4.8 in the same size truck
ofcourse stock for stock it would, i will never argue that. but u gotta understand the fustration i have when people on this board are like ,"4.8s are so weak, they suck, they can never ever beat a 5.3 even with a million mods, they are two entirely different motors, blah blah blah bl;ah" i hear this crap all the time and its obvious its not true. its just a bunch of stuburn people who dont wanna admit it. i mean look at golden velvet for exaple. beat a whipplecharged 5.3 with a 60shot. although all ull hear now is all kinds of excuses and the bs flag will probably come up. too stuburn
Old 09-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Launching!

GUYS SAVE IT FOR ANOTHER THREAD PLESE.

This is not the place to champion the 4.8.

There are some folks who are actually helping out rather than just argueing.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Teching In

First off, if you can keep up with or beat other 4.8's, don't worry about it unless you get one of those same 4.8's on the same dyno you used and still show lower RWHP/TQ numbers. Then try another dyno.

I don't have any research to back this up, and somebody might yell at me, but, does your truck run stronger as it's warming up? Like almost there, but not quite at regular operating temp? If so then a lower t-stat without the programming will probably help (but hurt mileage and emissions) and Wester's will probably just add to that performance effect but meet emissions. Sounds like it runs too lean normally.

I can burn the tires off when my motor's warm but not hot yet. Then it all disappears. I don't try when it's still cold.

Oh, and I have the all-powerful 5.3L instead of that wimpy 4.8! Any way you look at it, these are darn nice trucks, and the are faster than the older ones, empty at least.

Bring up the Vortec 350 vs Vortec 5.3 and watch a big ol' shouting match start.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be dynoing a stock 03 4.8L sometime in the near future. Also, from my dads previous silverado, I am going to slap on a FIPK, and a Granatelli MAF, just to see what it gets with those mods. A little before and after. When I do it I will let you guys know. I might even unbolt the stock muffler to see what gains I can get as well.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry, the 4.8 can take care of that
Old 09-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Launching!

dont worry, the 4.8 can take care of that

ELSEWHERE.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I made 251 RWHP with K&amp;N FIPK2 intake, cat-back exhaust, and a Hypertech programmer.
I was there for this dyno. It was done at MTI along with TxSilverado who went 249 rwhp 250rwtq in second (with ONLY a UPD &amp; HPPIII). My truck made 261/271 with UPD, pulley, headers, cutouts, and HPPIII. I did loose a little due to the "heavy" wheels.

Demon, I think you got boned on the dyno. I have never seen even a stock 4.8 dyno below 220rwhp.

Note to everyone
He has nicely asked SEVERAL TIMES to not make this into a 4.8 vs 5.3 thread. Future posts to that effect will get deleted. Hyperlite...if you feel you need to comment on this, start a new thread or PM me with a response.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever dyno their 4.8's ??? (Stock or Not)