Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone ever run 4 or even 6 mufflers!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever run 4 or even 6 mufflers!!!!?

Well after getting pulled over twice in one month when I wasn't really doing anything wrong/plus hitting the big four ohhhh, I've decided to quiet this monster down. Here is a link to the current system. The cats failed a few months after they were put on so they are now just shells of their former selves

Anyhow, I ordered (2) #14589 Magnaflow mufflers:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10169

...to replace my 70 series flowmasters. I can't stand the drone that isn't supposed to be there (according to flowmaster) and they are a tad too loud. The flowmasters sounded really good actually, but to get pulled over for 1/2 throttling it from a light and never exceeding the speed limit...........

Silverado SS pictures by slowfive0 - Photobucket

I think the exhaust note will be better and quieter with the Magnaflows, but I think it will be still on the loud side for the sound level that I want to be at (think how loud a Corsa Touring system with stock cats is and you are in the ballpark).

So I ordered (2) bottle style resonators from Vibrant also:

Vibrant Performance ::.

They will be placed before the mufflers. I'm hoping this will quiet it wayyyy down. If not, I will order an additional (2) "Ultra Quiet" resonators from Vibrant that will be put in the tailpipes.

Vibrant Performance ::.

I don't want to hurt performance and I want it to be VERY QUIET. I know, that's gay and all. Call me old My race car can be loud, not this. Thoughts? Anyone else run multiple mufflers, etc and did it kill their performance? Thanks guys!

P.S. Be funny as hell if the truck goes faster with 6 mufflers, then with the original 2 Flowmasters.....

Last edited by slowfive0; 05-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I believe EvilGMC had like 4 mufflers on his to keep it quite at one point.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I had 2 cats and 3 mufflers at one point. The problem most guys run into is there just physically isnt enough room.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea somebody on here had 2 cats and 4 magnaflows. I cant rem who tho. I love my stock muffler with no cats
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Phil Chivez I think is his name, built the supercharged LQ9 trailblazer, had at least 3 mufflers and 2 cat's on that truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool! This is encouraging. The way most of the posts go, it seems like a lot of people want louder, not quieter---lol

My intent is to record the truck with the flowmasters, then with the addition of the Magnaflows, then with the addition of the Resonators. Hopefully, helps someone else out in the process.

I just hope, it doesn't slow the truck down too much.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

why not just add the Magnaflows in line with your flows?

Check out this thread

142mph on junkyard 5.3 ..... - LS1TECH
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have dual three inch to a big body magnaflow and a single 4" out. It is way to loud for my taste. Let us know how the resignators work cause I'm sure I will add a couple of those to my set up soon. GL
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's usually not the noise of the exhaust that is to loud, it the resonation. I've had 5 different exhaust setups on my truck trying to get it to a sound level I like and NONE of them did it till I built resonation tubes. These very simple tubes WORK!!!! Check out this thread,

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-drone-489463/

I've done it on both my gas truck and my diesel and it worked AWESOME on both of them. 32" seems to be the magic number on ECSB's. Neither are much louder then a stock truck cruising down the highway but still have great sound when you step on it!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well a lot of people say that the flowmasters are killing the truck. I did a few things this year since the 12.20 time slip (90mm tb/j-tube, meth injection, ram air setup for my cold air intake, electric fans & a more aggressive tune) and I think it would have gone 12.0X or 12.1X if the air had gotten as cold as the year before, but we had a really mild temperatures. This was at a 5650 race weight to boot. If what people say is true, it should lose another tenth or two from changing the mufflers........

That is why I wanted to start with the Magnaflows first, see how I like it and go from there. My plan is to log it that day with the flowmasters, then install the magnaflows and log it again. Hopefully, more airflow and quieter. May leave it like that if so. If not, I'll start adding resonators and see where it goes.

Oh, and that thread is just SICK!!!! Very inspiring. I was on the fence about the turbo and was leaning towards the s/c, but lately I've been leaning the other way---lol!

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
why not just add the Magnaflows in line with your flows?

Check out this thread

142mph on junkyard 5.3 ..... - LS1TECH

I will. I guess I am exaggerating a little. It isn't that loud by most peoples standards. Nothing like some bullets or flowmaster 44's with no cats, but it isn't quiet either. Very tame cruising around and I get compliments on the exhaust note all of the time, but I don't like how loud it gets when you get into boost. The other day, getting pulled over for accelerating a little quick from a light (no tire spin or craziness like that) just the fact that I left the rest of traffic behind by 1/2 dozen car lengths in 1/2 block accelerating up to (not over) the speed limit didn't set well with the officer (or maybe he was a car guy---I don't know). I didn't get a ticket so I can't complain too much but I don't think I would have been pulled over either if my damn exhaust wasn't loud. It does have some drone too and I hate it. I really think the combination of the big magnaflows and resonators will be the ticket though. I'll post up results.

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I have dual three inch to a big body magnaflow and a single 4" out. It is way to loud for my taste. Let us know how the resignators work cause I'm sure I will add a couple of those to my set up soon. GL

I seen that and I believe it works. If the exhaust note was quieter, I'd probably try it. If I get the noise level down, but am still getting a drone that I'm not happy with, it will be my next mod---lol!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
It's usually not the noise of the exhaust that is to loud, it the resonation. I've had 5 different exhaust setups on my truck trying to get it to a sound level I like and NONE of them did it till I built resonation tubes. These very simple tubes WORK!!!! Check out this thread,

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-drone-489463/

I've done it on both my gas truck and my diesel and it worked AWESOME on both of them. 32" seems to be the magic number on ECSB's. Neither are much louder then a stock truck cruising down the highway but still have great sound when you step on it!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever run 4 or even 6 mufflers!!!!?