Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone ever run 4 or even 6 mufflers!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 1/2 way there. Today, we put on some 18" resonators before the mufflers first (with existing flowmasters). Probably made a 10% reduction if that in noise. Then replaced the flowmasters with the equally large (22"x11"x5") magnaflows (2 of them). Sound is definitely quieter and the drone was pretty much gone. I could live with it and it sounds really nice! Wish I had a sound clip. Plan is to add a "super quiet" style resonator in each tailpipe in the morning. If I can, I'll post up a sound clip before and after. Either way, I think some of the senior citizens on here may find this a viable option for your daily cruisers ;-) Take care

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/x...cpZZ2QQtppZZ24
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Done! SUCCESS, if you like quiet!!!!

With the addition of the resonator in each tailpipe (basically a 10" long case - 4.5" x 6.75") really did the trick! It is quiet with a nice tone. You get on it, you can definitely hear it, but it isn't crazy loud like before. No drone----very happy with it!!!

To be honest, if you like sound, a couple of the big magnaflow mufflers and I think most would be very happy. Add these resonators and it quiets it down big time (around 20%) if you're old and like it more tame.

I would compare to this system to the sound level of a Corsa Touring with factory cats imho.....Hope this helps, the quality of my recordings suck, but I was using my cell phone---what can I say....

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/x...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Last edited by slowfive0; 02-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds pretty good.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sooo, how much does your exhaust system weigh now?

Glad to see you were able to get it quieted down though.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man! It is on the quiet side for most, but without the resonators in the tails I think most people on here would love it! Very deep sound with the dual HUGE magnaflows. Sounded awesome yesterday and wasn't as loud as the flowmasters either.

I'm uploading another video right now that lets you hear it while cruising around.

Originally Posted by cttandy
Sounds pretty good.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, what's another 500lbs...lol!

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Sooo, how much does your exhaust system weigh now?

Glad to see you were able to get it quieted down though.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish I had seen this one earlier-

I have 4 Borla ProXS mufflers under my 02 2500HD crew cab. They fit very well in place of the stock muffler and have plenty of clearance. The idle is very deep and WOT is fairly quiet. Its slightly louder than a stock muffler but far less restrictive.

It does a great job of NOT scaring off deer during hunting season when your on the way to the stand, and you get all the advantages of a better muffler!

The only thing I want to try now is squeeze 2 resonators in there as well. I have NO drone and the ride is quiet- but im going for complete "ghost".
Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's awesome!!!!! Those are the mufflers I was planning on using but I ended up with the magnaflows. I'm happy with them bit would have probably done the Borla XS mufflers if I had to do it again. This is strictly based off the sound quality. I can tell u the bottle type resonators don't make a ton of difference. Proba ly just tone down the note a little. Maybe 5-10% decrease??? The bigger resonator body like I used in my tailpipes made a huge difference. Probably 15-20%. Not sure if any of this hurt performance or not. Im betting I lost a tenth or two but could be wrong. Will find out in spring. Post up some pics/vids if u have any. Thx.
Originally Posted by SamuelsonMotorsports
wish I had seen this one earlier-

I have 4 Borla ProXS mufflers under my 02 2500HD crew cab. They fit very well in place of the stock muffler and have plenty of clearance. The idle is very deep and WOT is fairly quiet. Its slightly louder than a stock muffler but far less restrictive.

It does a great job of NOT scaring off deer during hunting season when your on the way to the stand, and you get all the advantages of a better muffler!

The only thing I want to try now is squeeze 2 resonators in there as well. I have NO drone and the ride is quiet- but im going for complete "ghost".
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little update. Went out to the track last weekend and in similar temperatures to when I ran my personal best two years ago, I pretty much matched it. Went 12.22 at 110 pulling in right off the street!!!!!

Granted, this was with a few extra mods (tb, electric fans, etc), but it was also with my base (mild) tune up. Last year with a very aggressive tuneup and even methanol injection I couldn't go better then 12.27 in 50 degree (10 degrees hotter) weather. Difference was the exhaust. I think it actually picked me up a tenth or maybe two. Even though I added 6 mufflers!!! LMAO

An additional note: the exhaust actually changed my tuneup (leaned it out) and I had to add fuel. I was running 11.7:1 a/f at wot. The exhaust changed that to the 12.3 - 12.5:1 a/f! I was pretty surprised a muffler change would do that.

Last edited by slowfive0; 04-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have 4 on my 04 SSS , but now run a single large body "turbo" muffler. It is probably for a motorhome? any how my truck did not seem any slower after the swap, and I run a cutout...

I dont see any point on even running a "cat-back" on newer cars/trucks..Just run LT's/ORY with a cutout...best of both worlds

Quick Reply: Anyone ever run 4 or even 6 mufflers!!!!?