Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

anyone has issues with LS1 fans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a underdrive pulley? I noticed when I installed mine, at idle mine would run hotter than usual, I guess because not as much coolant was moving because the water pump was spinning slower..
Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed cause I'm about to do ls1 fans on mine
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never had any problems with mine. i just swapped to a 34" radiator and efans.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience these fans were junk. Everything was working properly, I had a Blackbear wiring harness with the proper tuning to compensate for the fans. Slow speed trail riding would push my temps to 230, and likewise overheat my transmission, because I only had the cooler in the radiator at the time. They may get you by on the street, but I don't think they have the CFM to keep up with a fullsize truck.

I have since went back to a clutch fan. Save your money and spring for the 05+ fans and larger factory radiator with factory harness. I believe the smaller radiator the 99-05 trucks had is part of the problem as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2002
I have a 160 thermostat, and my efan harness is not temp control, its just a switch for hi or low speed, i always have them on hi unless im on the highway, and yes both fans were on and on hi speed everytime i checked them, i would just stop and open the hood with the truck running and temp would start dropping fairly quick,? im confused?
So your fans are manually control by switches. And you are saying here that when you opened the hood, the temps drop, but I assume with the hood closed the temps would rise?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
From my experience these fans were junk. Everything was working properly, I had a Blackbear wiring harness with the proper tuning to compensate for the fans. Slow speed trail riding would push my temps to 230, and likewise overheat my transmission, because I only had the cooler in the radiator at the time. They may get you by on the street, but I don't think they have the CFM to keep up with a fullsize truck.

I have since went back to a clutch fan. Save your money and spring for the 05+ fans and larger factory radiator with factory harness. I believe the smaller radiator the 99-05 trucks had is part of the problem as well.
shoot. probably cost an arm and a leg for the newer radiator and fans....
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong, many people run them without any problems. That was just my experience with them. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but it was not worth the gain for me just to have it overheat my engine and transmission.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen several trucks with plenty of HP run LS1 fans with no problems (including my last truck). I sat in bumper to bumper traffic in southern heat for an hour every afternoon and my temps never got hot. There's something wrong with your setup.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
So your fans are manually control by switches. And you are saying here that when you opened the hood, the temps drop, but I assume with the hood closed the temps would rise?
pretty much thats what im saying..... ive came down to the conclusion that either the fans are giving out or there is something wrong with the relays? but its just weird that the fans do feel like the are blowing high???
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an airflow issue.

Are the fans are blowing the correct way? Towards the engine?

Quick Reply: anyone has issues with LS1 fans?