Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone have vacuum/braking issues running a cam with a 110-ish LSA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgak47
Yes it will give more TQ @ a lower RPM but it also will have less power off the stop but build faster one its starts getting into its power band. You end up with a narrower powerband but higher peak power, generally speaking.

You need to also understand LSA and duration both effect your overlap "idle quality", just LSA has a greater effect then duration. For every degree you change the LSA it the same effect as changing the duration 2 degrees total over both lobes.

I am going to be running a 270/278 110+4 in one of my trucks, probably will need hydroboost lol
WOW.....how BIG is that motor to run that much duration?
How much overlap does the cam card say it has?

I was looking at a dyno run of a 228 cam VS a stock cam in an LS1 car to see where the power came in. Same dyno, same car.....I'm sure we can nit pick over atmospheric conditions...ect. I was looking at power delivery throught the RPM band for a comparison on the same car, same dyno.
The power between 3200-3500RPM's still made more power than the stock
LS1. It seems like the 220/220 cam would beat out the 228 cam in this are....but I'll have to find a direct comparison to see myself. I say it WILL beat out the 228....but if you have to "baby" the truck out of the hole and can't use ALL of the power that the truck is TRYING to put down anyways.....this extra power doesn't seem like you could use it down low......and if you CAN use it.....how much MORE does the 220/220 make than the 228 down low.

I know that a 228 cam would be soggy in the bottom end around town.....I can see that compared to the 220 cam.

That...I could see with stop and go where you would be using THAT exact area over and over again.....BUT...at the drag strip....after leaving the line....do the RPM's drop into that RANGE where the 220/220 cam outshines the 228 cam between shifts? I see it as spending less than 1000RPM's using the extra power that the 220/220 cam makes down low VS the MULTIPLE 1000RPM areas that the 228 cam would make more power(once each time the truck shifts and runs through the RPMs).

I see it as a 1000RPM section of power VS a 3000RPMs section of power (or more)....IF you use a decent sized stall with it.......what do you guys think?

The 228 cam with a 110LSA seems to have something like 8 degrees of overlap while the 220/220 on the same LSA has zero degrees.....those are with advertised duration.....I don't have an actual cam card from those two cams so I can't see EXACTLY what the overlap is.....but I remember being tought that when you run more overlap like that it lowers the operating range of the cam.........

I can see the argument where the 228 cam is too large for a 5.3 with the LOW compression....like 9.5:1.......in the L33 motors or the NNBS 5.3's that have the flat top pistons in them they seem to HAVE the compression that can USE the large 228 cam without spinning it to 7000rpm's......

I dunno if that make sense....but MORE RPM's in the 9:5 motor to be able to use that cam because it doesn't create as much cylinder pressure in the range that the 228 cam was designed for.........THAT is why I was thinking about a 228 on a 110LSA with milling my heads to allow it to USE that cam.....like an LS1 car does......