Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is ANYONE here running a Kenne Bell Supercharger ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is ANYONE here running a Kenne Bell Supercharger ??

I am seriously considering ordering one this afternoon unless anyone has any VALID reasons that I shouldn't.

Kenne Bell's website lists all the upsides (new injectors, custom programming, cooler intake charger than Roots-type blowers, etc), and the price is $1500 cheaper than the RADIX with what seem to be almost identical gains....

I called Kenne Bell this morning to get some information....on my 6.0 with the stock 6psi pulley I should see ~370rwhp/~430rwtq, with an optional 8psi pulley I should see ~410rwhp/~460rwtq.....thats pretty damn good assuming it's the truth !!

I understand the benefits of the intercooled RADIX but Kenne Bell claims that the twin-screw design doesn't require intercooling to keep tha air-charge temp cool (they claim the air-charge temp is cooler than with an intercooled Roots-type blower......how reasonable does this sound ??, and how hard would it be to add an intercooler at a later date if I felt it necessary ?? (Whipple's intercooler looks like it would work nicely)

any input is appreciated !!!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't expect alot of response to this post. And even though I don't have either SC, I would recommend you read this other post first, although I'm sure you have. I also can't believe that a Kenne Bell is that much cheaper. Have you gotten a quote for a Radix from Brian or Tom?? They have recently had some KILLER deals on these systems. I mean like over $1000 cheaper then superchargersonline.com! Plus, it looks to me like customer service at Kenne Bell means that the customer must service his own problems. I'm not bashing or selling one or the other, but if it were me, which it isn't, I wouldn't even think about any other charger but the Radix. How many post have you seen on here where someone says, "I just installed a Radix and I am having problems"?? And if someone does have a problem, Brian and Tom have both offered a ton of customer service, even if the person wasn't their customer. Damn, Brian even helped out a guy who (was an *** for one) didn't even buy his kit from him and didn't show any appreciation for his efforts. Think it through, and make your choice, just be prepared to live with it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=kenne+bell
Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You all know how I feel about the Radix kit and its quality......I would ask YELO to at least take the time to see/drive my truck. I can say this, the twin screw design of the autorotor / kenne belle IS a better "blower" but as kits go and dependability / drivability, the RADIX is the only way to go. If you want me to take a drive out there to Death Valley, I will! Just let me know, I will have this 6.0 in soon (i hope)
Old 01-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Do you see what I mean? Is this guy for real? He will take you a ride in his truck and let you drive it??? For real tho, something tells me that Brian wouldn't be happy until you were happy with the charger. That is what customer service is all about!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Yelo
I am seriously considering ordering one this afternoon unless anyone has any VALID reasons that I shouldn't.

Kenne Bell's website lists all the upsides (new injectors, custom programming, cooler intake charger than Roots-type blowers, etc), and the price is $1500 cheaper than the RADIX with what seem to be almost identical gains....

I called Kenne Bell this morning to get some information....on my 6.0 with the stock 6psi pulley I should see ~370rwhp/~430rwtq, with an optional 8psi pulley I should see ~410rwhp/~460rwtq.....thats pretty damn good assuming it's the truth !!

I understand the benefits of the intercooled RADIX but Kenne Bell claims that the twin-screw design doesn't require intercooling to keep tha air-charge temp cool (they claim the air-charge temp is cooler than with an intercooled Roots-type blower......how reasonable does this sound ??, and how hard would it be to add an intercooler at a later date if I felt it necessary ?? (Whipple's intercooler looks like it would work nicely)

any input is appreciated !!!
I'm almost positive that a non-intercooled screw type charger's IAT's would be higher than an intercooled roots type. ALOT higher.

That $1500 savings isn't gonna seem as important when you get KR at 7psi!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badmofo hit it on the head about Bells service. The customer shall service himself! What would be awesome is the Radix kit with the Bell blower-like the Lightning guys are doing. Since that isn't do-able I suggest you go with the Radix, no matter how much more $$ it may be.

I have to tell this story now, I'll make it short. I bought the last "Wildcat" intake that KB produced for the big block Buick a few years ago. Took like forever to get it. When it came in it was in "semi-finished" form. The intake port dividers extended into the plenum area, under the carb. An assload of material had to be removed and I wasn't sure what angle or how much to do so I called and talked to Jim Bell. I tried to explain what I wanted to know and he cut me off and said "Stand over the carb opening, look down in there, and imagine you are some air and want to go down through there. And that is where you want to cut it." I promptly said thanks, hung up the phone, and proceeded to use a SBC intake as a pattern and hogged it out without any help or advice. So if you buy KB products don't say you haven't been warned!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
I'm almost positive that a non-intercooled screw type charger's IAT's would be higher than an intercooled roots type. ALOT higher.

That $1500 savings isn't gonna seem as important when you get KR at 7psi!

Yeah the KB is basically a rebadged Whipple right? Good compressor but just blows hot air... I'd do that with an intercooler
Old 01-29-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

It being a cooler charge than an intercooled roots is horse **** ....

deception and lack of customer service ... 2 things that would be a MAJOR strike in my book.

Call and talk to MagnaCharger themselves ... just tell them your thinking about a blower and want some info about it. They will talk to you for at least an hour. If you have a problem ... you get the same response, they are there to help you out.

I had a problem where I talked to them. They suggested something that I thought was off the wall, but that turned out ot tbe the problem. They know thier shtuff too.

If I remember right ... Brian even offered the guy lunch.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here we go again... Now I've been told by many people, Including people on this board, that a twin screw is the most efficient SC you can get.

click for the thread i started about this subject...

Now I wanted a KB not too long ago.. But I just returned from FL yestersday... My cousin who was down there has a lightning and we went to Razors Edge Motorsports to burn a chip for his truck. Now if anyone here reads truck mags they have seen the orange lightning from Razors Edge. Well when we got there, the guy who owns the shop and the lightning (Paul something.. cant remember the last name) He had a black Ford in the shop... (not sure if it was a lightning or not) With a whipple on it and it was running a 10:70 in the quarter and the truck wasn't even gutted out. He also told me that a twin screw was the most efficient. I asked him about the Kenne Bell's afterwards and he told me that Whipple makes a better product... He told me that he has serviced many Kenne Bell's due to leakage problems. Now this could be due to bad installation... but he was talking about it like he had enough people coming in to know that it was Kenne Bell...not the installer... The only thing is that Whipple does not sell new fuel injectors as part of thier kits (as far as i know). In my opinion, if you are going to go with a twin screw SC, go with a whipple.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just say that if it's not intercooled - don't waste your time. I think if the Whipple or KB were intercooled, then there could be some closer comparisons made. But, until then, the Radix is boss.

You could however, manufacture your own form of intercooling if you have those kind of skills with one of the two other mentioned blowers.

Quick Reply: Is ANYONE here running a Kenne Bell Supercharger ??