Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone installed Calspeed 1 7/8" headers on a 2WD with out the heat/hammer mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you measure the headers prior to installing them?

I hope I don't have this issue with mine!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No we didn't,according to calspeed this were a direct fit,so we thought there's was no need to measure them.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Did you measure the headers prior to installing them?

I hope I don't have this issue with mine!
It's kinda bad when you think you should measure a header that is said to be a DIRECT fit. I am about to make a thread, call these guys out on what is what..
Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What would you be measuring anyways??
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
It's kinda bad when you think you should measure a header that is said to be a DIRECT fit. I am about to make a thread, call these guys out on what is what..
They have been called out in every thread that has been started. They state all sorts of fabricated stories (see what I did there) but have yet to prove they actually make these headers like they keep saying.

A picture of their shop or proof they actually manufacture these in house would go a long ways. If they do in fact build their own headers the second question is why are they failing so hard at it?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

The only posts / threads I am aware of that have any type of fitment issue relates to people who purchased our 2WD headers for a 4WD / AWD application (Our headers are only a direct fit for 2wd).

Here is a 2011 Silverado with a set installed today, please note the more than adequate clearance (temporary zipties to try and move plug wires out of way for a better picture)

After dozens of customers vehicles we have installed them in shop, we havent had any issues with any of our local installs on vehicles related to design.

Only thing we have seen is a few older 99-06 trucks with worn out motor mounts that we had to replace because the motor sagged about 3/8" causing our larger 1-7/8" to touch the frame, 1-3/4" version has enough room that this wouldnt be a problem on them.

Based on the original posters pictures I am not sure how his truck has the framerail so tight / pushed in. (Not trying to claim it has been damaged/crashed or anything else, its just much different than the dozens we've installed on - ranging from 1999-2011). My suggestion is to to flip the steering shaft bolt/nut so the end doesnt stick out into the tube. Even more room would be going to a buttonhead bolt.

We suggested it would be easier to install the headers if you lowered or removed the transmission crossmember during installation.

2nd would be make sure when you installed new motor mounts you didnt shift the motor over to one side or another while they were loose. I can move an engine as much as 1/4-1/2" side to side using a engine hoist when the motor mounts are lose. Ensure the motor isnt shifted causing clearance issue.

Related to our shop etc:
Additionally, if you google or youtube "calspeed ls1" you will see plenty of customers car videos in our shop. We design / prototype our own products and we have them produced by a semi-local CA based manufacturer that also does manufacturing for a few other major exhaust/headers companies CA based.

Here is a design model on my desk for a new longtube we are prototyping currently. We use this to build a design in Solidworks for the CNC tube bender to produce identical copies.:

Last edited by CalSpeedPerformance; 03-14-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like it needs more than 1/4 - 1/2" to me. Which way do you want him to shift it? It doesn't fit on either side. . .
Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ,my friend decided to heat them up and hammer them,seems like that's the only way they will go in on this truck ,I don't know about others that's why I made this thread to see if anyone from here had installed them on a 2WD NBS.If it was my truck I would had returned them.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 PM
13 Second Truck Club

This is the only thread Ive seen with fitment issues on a 2wd. Maybe this one set of headers was manufactured wrong in some way?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
This is the only thread Ive seen with fitment issues on a 2wd. Maybe this one set of headers was manufactured wrong in some way?
I search and didn't find anything at all for the 1 7/8"s installed on a 2WD NBS.

Quick Reply: Anyone installed Calspeed 1 7/8" headers on a 2WD with out the heat/hammer mod?