Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone run a Tick Performance cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
If you need to get input from someone else on if you spec'd a cam correctly, and you do it publicly, then you must not have much experience or confidence in what you are selling.
Some individuals need to be constantly reassured that people think you are useful.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He does good. Similar to my cams I run. Just different here and there. I never spec a smog cam tho. Joys of Nebraska... Pretty sure penguins are dying everytime mine is fired up! Lol

Not sure why overlap is a problem on smog in theory wouldn't you want some because left over spent gasses like a egr effect. Killing the combustion temps? Except not egr, it never left. Or are you concerned of un burnt fuel passing thru cylinder from scavenging...

When I lived in az I just dumped a bottle of rubbing alcohol in tank and normally that helped a bunch for what it's worth.

Also there is a lot more to a cam that is speced than just duration and lift. You can see where valves open and close the nature of the lobe is something I take into consideration. Most manufacturers give specs for area at .200 valve lift and personally I use that a lot when comparing lobe patterns regardless of duration @ .050" depending on what your goals are. For example a comp XER lobe 242*@ .050 has more area then say a Lxl with same duration and nearly identical lift. Just my .02

Last edited by lsxperformance; 02-04-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Dam auto correct
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxperfomance
Or are you concerned of un burnt fuel passing thru cylinder from scavenging.
This ^ granted, a good tune can help control it but I want to be absolutely sure it passes as cleanly as possible the first time. I don't care about the environment, but I don't want to have to change my headers and cam and other crap every two years just for smog. Although I may never have to worry about it again if I end up relocating to Utah after I EAS
Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Damn....I guess my post wasn't able to go through before the internet went down out here....out on the ship right now.....meant to put THIS post up after the first two posts.....like it says....just a conversation...not trying to **** anyone off with what is said...I can see where everyone is coming from........

Not trying to **** ya off richardman but that cam sounds like it's along the lines of a CHEATR cam from Thunder back in the day. Wide LSA to make up for the amount of duration and lift that the cam was spec'd with. I think they make a smog cam nowadays from Tick.....I remember seeing something like that lately from them. The CHEATR cams had an LSA like the LS7 cams do....like 117LSA or something like that in order to make up for the duration and lift to keep it passing smog and making power........side effect is powerband moving up......to keep the power band down it seems like the duration has to be REALLY low in order to use a "normal" LSA...... I can completely see your concerns with that cam....makes sense to me.....I'm in California too man......I used to have the same problem until I registered my truck outa state...a luxury not everyone has....
What cam did you land up going with for your Camaro man?

RS/SS- That big of a cam seems like something that I would daily drive...HA HA......I could see your concern with that cam man....over 600 lift on the street seems like it could eat up springs failry quick......not sure how much over 600 the cam he spec'd you was....but it seems like other decent sized 228-ish cams are 580 for lift...which is pretty close to 600......

Damn.......it seems like they are all spec'd on the big side for duration and just outside of what a lot of off the shelf lifts are...I keep looking at naturally asperated cams because there seem to be too many variables with teh forced induction cams....although the success of thier turbo cam in the truck above seems like once the stick is in the truck it works.....LOL..I'm curious on the N/A side of things with the Tick cams because no air is being forced in and changing the charactoristics of the motor.........Thanks for the opinions and advice guys.......if anyone else has the same info or different experience post up......I'd love to hear about it......
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Haha it's fine dude. I wasn't expecting to see such big numbers. I am going with a tsp spec'd cam, 215/223 LSL lobes, .602/.610 on a 114+4. Running btr duals with tool steel retainers, ls7 lifters and 7.4" hardened pushrods. The exhaust split is big because I have to retain stock manifolds and cats unless I can find some shorties and high flow cats. I'll be running a fast 90 intake and probally ported/milled 243's
Old 02-05-2014, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Richardman1992
Haha it's fine dude. I wasn't expecting to see such big numbers. I am going with a tsp spec'd cam, 215/223 LSL lobes, .602/.610 on a 114+4. Running btr duals with tool steel retainers, ls7 lifters and 7.4" hardened pushrods. The exhaust split is big because I have to retain stock manifolds and cats unless I can find some shorties and high flow cats. I'll be running a fast 90 intake and probally ported/milled 243's
Too bad Thunder Racing isn't around anymore.......one of thier cheater cams with a set of those MAC mid lengths would do pretty good....kinda high RPM stuff....but went pretty good with a decent stall....

I think those were the only CARB legal headers other than shorties.......before I registered my truck outa state I was thinking about cutting the CARB EO tags off of a set of shorties and then welding them to a set of long tubes with cats to see if someone would pass it in the ghetto.....LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

I want a torque cam, not high rpm power lol
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeRM82
Too bad Thunder Racing isn't around anymore.......
Geoff designed thunder's cams. He's still around and still specing cams. He's had his new business for years.

www. engpwrsys. com
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I had Martin spec a cam for my 370 I have yet to run it though. The specs are 231/246
.617/.595 108+5. That's to be used in a 11:1 motor vic jr./super victor intake (undecided)
TSP 250cc ls3 heads spraying a good shot of nitrous. Comp recommended 235/251 621/624 113 I actually bought that cam and ended up selling it as I felt it was not going to be what I wanted. I talked to several companies on the cam Tooley, Comp, TSP, Bullet and Lil John all of them had different ideas on what would work. So best bet is to pick one and try it lol so far I have been happy with the support and service I have received from Martin so have no reason to not recommend him at this time.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run the 223/231 .610"/.617" 110+2 "off shelf" cam in my truck below. It seems to work great with the other mods in my DD. I'm sure there is different cams out there that would do better but I'm happy so far but always open for suggestions.

Quick Reply: Anyone run a Tick Performance cam?