Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone run the Z06 cam in their 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Genlll53
I think people need to know what you are working with,a Z71? A CC or a RCSB?Im surprised this wasnt the first question.The aftermarket does offer better options for TQ.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Genlll53
I think people need to know what you are working with,a Z71? A CC or a RCSB?Im surprised this wasnt the first question.The aftermarket does offer better options for TQ.
Thanks Gonzo. This is what I am working with.....

CC 2wd 05 1500 LS with a 3.23 gear set.
The only mod I have done is put a Flowmaster on it, and all I want to do is have some fun with this truck, and I am looking at the Z06 cam as an affordable option, as opposed to the cams out there that are double in price BUT, at the same time, I do not want to go through all the work and not be happy with the cam. I was just wondering what you guys had seen with this cam.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenIII53
Thanks Gonzo. This is what I am working with.....

CC 2wd 05 1500 LS with a 3.23 gear set.
The only mod I have done is put a Flowmaster on it, and all I want to do is have some fun with this truck, and I am looking at the Z06 cam as an affordable option, as opposed to the cams out there that are double in price
The ls6 cam likes high RPM's. The extra weight of the crew cab and those 3.23 will working against you with specialy with this cam. I'd look into the the comp cam 212/218 if you have no intentions in going with a higher stall and better gears.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

A CC has some weight to it.A LS6 cam will make good gains on the dyno,The problem with a heavy tuck and that cam is you kill enough of the bottom end that you dont always make it up at the top.There are better cams that will help not kill the bottom yet help on top.I see new cams sell for $350 range and nothing wrong with a set of LS6 springs for around $90.I myself dont have a problem with a low mile mint condition used cam for under $200.There is a guy on this forum with a truck like yours ,his runs awesome.You need to look at his mods and gains.Anyone? who is it?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

A CC has some weight to it.A LS6 cam will make good gains on the dyno,The problem with a heavy tuck and that cam is you kill enough of the bottom end that you dont always make it up at the top.There are better cams that will help not kill the bottom yet help on top.I see new cams sell for $350 range and nothing wrong with a set of LS6 springs for around $90.I myself dont have a problem with a low mile mint condition used cam for under $200.There is a guy on this forum with a truck like yours ,his runs awesome.You need to look at his mods and gains.Anyone? who is it?
Are you thinking of SierraCrew? I beleive he has a cam inhis truck aswell, AND he lives close by to me. I made need to shoot him an email and see how his truck feels, thanks again Gonzo.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GenIII53
Are you thinking of SierraCrew? I beleive he has a cam inhis truck aswell, AND he lives close by to me. I made need to shoot him an email and see how his truck feels, thanks again Gonzo.
Ya thats him
You need to get in touch with him, his CC is fast as hell for no more than he's done.Be smart and be a copy cat dont waste your money trying to re-invent the wheel just to have a challenge.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Lingenfelter has some good cams that are pretty cheap. You should check into one of those.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Ya thats him
You need to get in touch with him, his CC is fast as hell for no more than he's done.Be smart and be a copy cat dont waste your money trying to re-invent the wheel just to have a challenge.

SierraCrew has "officially" been called out!!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Lingenfelter has some good cams that are pretty cheap. You should check into one of those.
Hey, thanks Snake Eater. Looks like you are running one of their cams. How is the bottom end with that cam? I think I may change my ring and pinion as well to help out. This truck is a PIG from 0-40 with my long 3.23 gear set. BUT, I do like crusing @ 80 MPH at only @ 2000RPM as well though!!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Well, it looks like the Z06 cam moves the powerband too high to really do my pig of a truck any good. I do wonder why all of these cams are so expensive though. I mean, a custom solid roller for my Small Block Ford in my Mustang ran me $279 through Cam Motion and Comp Cams (I ran both during testing in my old race car) And I currently putting together a Big Block Mopar, and samething, I can get a roller cam (solid or hydraulic) for the same price. Why are these Gen III cams so damn expensive???

Quick Reply: Anyone run the Z06 cam in their 5.3?