Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone scared of their nitrous tank blowing up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone scared of their nitrous tank blowing up?

may sound stupid but i'm a paranoid freak. what if u dropped the tank when handling it or somethin went wrong with the setup, could it blow?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by hyper
may sound stupid but i'm a paranoid freak. what if u dropped the tank when handling it or somethin went wrong with the setup, could it blow?

It could, but I don't think you have to treat it like it's made of glass, or anything. Although I've seen firsthand what a vehicle looks like if the bottle were to explode, and it's REALLY ugly! Now, with the blowdown tubes, ans stuff, I don't think it's a huge worry. I wouldn't mount it in any passenger areas, though, either, just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a burst disc that will relieve any pressure buildup. Nitrous isn't reactive so bumping it or dropping it won't make it explode or anything.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it won't explode cause it's not flamible.but could due to pressure
Old 11-17-2004, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

omg we have gas in are trucks to......oh no, in a platic tank!!!!watch out hyper.....just picking. i have a reg cab, and i was thinking if it would be smart to put it behind the seats but in the middle so u could see it?.....anyone done that....pic's?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd hate to have any container sitting next to me with ~1000+psi on it. Call me paranoid.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just never really thought about the danger factor in it
Old 11-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*** it just put it under your seat
Old 11-17-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

When I had my camaro I was paraniod about the bottle exploding and any noises I heard out came the bottle-I have a friend in the Navy hes in virginia and one of his buddy's up there had a nitrous setup and he was pulling out of a parking lot and something happend with the bottle and it exploded and killed the guy-burnt to death. Now that really sucks I will never have nitrous again-call me paranoid but i'll stick with boost and more boost but no nos.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by XFACTOR
I have a friend in the Navy hes in virginia and one of his buddy's up there had a nitrous setup and he was pulling out of a parking lot and something happend with the bottle and it exploded and killed the guy-burnt to death.
That sounds like a load of BS to me... Urban Legand material.

Generally the worst that happens if a bottle sees too much pressure is the burst disc blows and it's a loud *** noise that might scare the crap out of you causing you to jerk the wheel and fly off the edge of a 200' tall bridge, plunging to your death...

Or you flinch at the loud noise and proceed to roll down your windows and hold your breath while the vapors exit the car.

I know of 2 bottles that blew and people were right next to em and had zero issues other than scared shitless.

Quick Reply: Anyone scared of their nitrous tank blowing up?