Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone scared of their nitrous tank blowing up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NITROUS OXIDE IS NOT FLAMABLE!!! People are killing me.... Crack the bottle open and smoke by it, doesn't matter, not going to blow up. Fast and the furious is BS. The only worrys about it is if the valve were to get knocked off it will turn the bottle into a miniature torpedo. Or, if the bottle burst SOMEHOW (even though there is a safety valve) the shrapnel could be devestating but it will not burn you.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly F8L i agree with the BS call, N2O is not flammable, it is an oxidizer, which will just make fire burn hotter, the most you have to worry about is the burst disc blowing like described above, that or in the freak chance you drop the bottle while full, and it lands so that it knocks off the valve, causing the bottle to become a projectile.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
Exactly F8L i agree with the BS call, N2O is not flammable, it is an oxidizer, which will just make fire burn hotter, the most you have to worry about is the burst disc blowing like described above, that or in the freak chance you drop the bottle while full, and it lands so that it knocks off the valve, causing the bottle to become a projectile.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those valves are prety heavy duty, i bet you could drop a bottle from 10' in the air onto concrete right on the valve and have it not leak. there is a pic of a nissan i think that blew apart floating around somewhere. somehow his heater malfunctioned and his burst disk didn't work(someone had to mess with that for it not to work) and it blew his car apart, along with his garage door.

the most dangerous thing about nitrous that i have seen is if your not careful you can burn(freeze) your skin and really get messed up.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I've seen that pic also Jim, at the time a lot of people were calling that one BS also. Not sure what the final "opinion" was on it though.

It sure looked pretty wicked. LOL
Old 11-18-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my chemistry lab here at ASU, the teacher said if you drop an oxygen tank and the valve breaks off of it it has pretty much the same effect as filling a balloon up with air and letting it go, it will fly all over the place. He said it would have more than enough power to go through several walls and just about anything else in its path. I would think a nitrous bottle would have much of the same effect if it had enough pressure built up in it, it wouldn't have enough to go through walls and stuff but possibly you or your car. That would be a huge kick in the @$$ for sure!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would say it is as safe as you make it.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I have my bottle under my truck and have had it there for over a year. A 10lbs bottle does not have enough gas in it to fly very far if the valve comes off. But it would have an *** load of power befor it runs out of 'gas'. Either way if you think of the chance of failure the plastic gas tank under our trucks if way more dangerous
Old 11-18-2004, 04:35 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

stupidfast has both of his behind the seats and it is a bad *** looking mount job that he did for himself and it kicks *** because he can just reach back and turn them on or off at any time
Old 11-18-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Personally, I'd hate to have any container sitting next to me with ~1000+psi on it. Call me paranoid.
I'm the exact same way...

Quick Reply: Anyone scared of their nitrous tank blowing up?