Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone using the Powertrax Lock Right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using the Powertrax Lock Right?

Ran into some problems with my spider gears and the limited slip in my G80 when I was putting the gears in. I ordered this unit to replace the spider gears and limited slip in my G80. Any opinions?

PS: Only works in open carrier, if I just press out my limited slip stuff it'll work right?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately, I don't "THINK" it'll work in a G80 carrier...

When I had a ZR2 S10, some guys on that site tried installing them and had problems. They bought used open carriers off of Ebay or swapped their G80 with an open carrier owner.

If I remember right, the 'windows' in the carrier were too small to get the parts inside to replace the spiders... I can't say for sure.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Isnt the G80 a locker not an open?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will not work with a G80 carrier. You need an open carrier to install.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Isnt the G80 a locker not an open?
Yeah, I kinda worded that funny. The guys with G80's swapped carriers with owners who had open diffs.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The above is correct about needing an open carrier. Have you ever run a lock right before? They can be a bit harsh on the street and somewhat unpredictable when getting on the gas around a corner. Plus they make a ticking sound when turning, and not on the throttle.

I used to run them in my Jeeps all the time. They will provide 100% traction equally to both wheels when you hit this throttle though, which is a real plus.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i agree, they are a little harsh on the road. i ran them in my jeeps, they are good units, but i wouldn't even consider one for my truck. I would go with the eaton limited slip unit.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I've considered the powertrax deal in my open diff. I've heard very mixed things about it, with most being bad. I guess its good for some people, but bad for most. I think that as long as you know you're putting in a LOCKER, you won't be disappointed. I'm putting in a posi real soon, so let me know if you want my open carrier for your powertrax!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

****. My truck has been sitting out of comission for a while and I really need to get it going. I thought as long as I pressed out my limited slip stuff that the G80 would work. But if it definitely won't work I guess now I need a open rearend...WTF! My truck hates me for sure.

PS: The reason for going with the Powertrax instead of the Eaton was price. I'm in college and funds are short. Bumming rides sucks too.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silvette_02
****. My truck has been sitting out of comission for a while and I really need to get it going. I thought as long as I pressed out my limited slip stuff that the G80 would work. But if it definitely won't work I guess now I need a open rearend...WTF! My truck hates me for sure.

PS: The reason for going with the Powertrax instead of the Eaton was price. I'm in college and funds are short. Bumming rides sucks too.

Thanks

Ill be installing my eaton posi soon so if you need and open diff send me a PM

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Powertrax Lock Right?