Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone using a water to air intercooler on STS kit or other Turbo or FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just layed out the pattern in my cad system and for the pressurized air tubes going through a 6" outside diameter tube, nested as many as I could get inside that circle, it comes out to 31 3/4" inside diameter tubes for a total surface area for all the 3/4" diameters of 13.7". This leaves about 1/8" between all the air tubes for cooling fluid to flow.

Would this be enough to prevent a boost loss?

A 2.5" inside diameter has a surface area of 4.9", I think this is the I.D. of the STS boost tubing at the location I would put the intercooler.

Does it sound feasible?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I figure if I fab up the hard parts myself, have them welded together, and then buy a used motorcycle radiator from a salvage yard and a new pump similar to the one in the link then I would be set.

If you mounted it in the right location with proper gaurding and maybe a scoop and an auxilary fan wired to a manual switch you would get good airflow when moving and could turn on the fan switch at the track or when in traffic.

First I have to figure out how big of a unit will fit under the rocker panel and which pressure side tubes I can remove when replacing it with the intercooler.
I guess the bigger the better as far as fluid volume is concerned.
Would you need some type of tank that holds excess water or to vent off pressure from the small radiator?
Your not going to see nearly enough heat to worry about expansion. All your doing is pulling a small amount of heat from the air caused by the compressing. After all its not generation heat from burning fuel like an engine. A good trans or oil cooler would cool the water back down with just a small pump to circulate the it. FWIW I put a OBX intercooler on mine and at 7 lbs, I see no temp increase for 10-97 mph (DAMN SPEEDLIMITER) at full boost. Don't know what it was before the intercooler, as I didn't have the scan gauge yet.

If its hot outside, your not going to get it any cooler then than a 10-15 degrees above ambient anyway.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

kinda off topic but
wouldnt this cause condensation
especially if you used ice?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53
kinda off topic but
wouldnt this cause condensation
especially if you used ice?
I think the airflow through the presure side would negate any condensation, the flow should have a drying effect. Maybe you would see some if you were sitting still, the abient air temp and humidity were high.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Found this on Ebay, might be too small for truck applications though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW