Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone with Volant CAI and ram air scoop (5.3L)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
JB1
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with Volant CAI and ram air scoop (5.3L)?

Im thinking about buying the volant CAI intake with the ram air scoop attachment, but I wanted to check and see if anyone else is running this setup and see how you liked it and if there were any install problems or any dislikes.

(2005 Chevy CC, 5.3L)
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

JB, I thought TXsilverado was running the volant, but he's running a UPD with the ram air attachment...I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference between the UPD and volant though.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

yep, upd intake with a volant ram air fabbed into it. chevy6000VHO has the full volant intake with the ram air attachment. if i didnt already have my intake volant is what i would go with.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
yep, upd intake with a volant ram air fabbed into it. chevy6000VHO has the full volant intake with the ram air attachment. if i didnt already have my intake volant is what i would go with.

did you gain anything with the ram air hooked up?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Colby 04
did you gain anything with the ram air hooked up?
i have no clue. i did it with exhaust, electric fans and the intake. it cant hurt to supply the intake with plenty cool air IMO.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
JB1
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i have no clue. i did it with exhaust, electric fans and the intake. it cant hurt to supply the intake with plenty cool air IMO.
Thats kinda the way I looked at it. They have the cold air intake on sale for $120 shipped so its not that bad of a price.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

I've had my Volant on for 18+ months, including the ram-air scoop. Other than one problem when the ram-air tube disconnected, I've had no problems with mine. I secured the intake tube again and it hasn't come apart again.

To be honest, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I installed mine. I suspect mine was one of the units that had some design issues and actually hurt power/MPG. If I remember correctly, some magazine did a CAI comparo and Volant really did poorly. A design change reportedly did better, but most owners of the earlier Volant CAIs were screwed...including me.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I have an S&B and i like it. Its not ram air but its nice and resonably priced as well.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colby 04
JB, I thought TXsilverado was running the volant, but he's running a UPD with the ram air attachment...I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference between the UPD and volant though.
This is what I did for the most part. I used the Volant ram air tube fabbed into the stock bottom air box with the upd lid on top, mac perf. tube with their 90 degree elbow onto my p&p 80mm bbk tb. I noticed a lot on the big end.

James
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
JB1
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by closet red neck
This is what I did for the most part. I used the Volant ram air tube fabbed into the stock bottom air box with the upd lid on top, mac perf. tube with their 90 degree elbow onto my p&p 80mm bbk tb. I noticed a lot on the big end.

James
How did you attach it to the stock box...does the kit come with a flange?

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
A design change reportedly did better, but most owners of the earlier Volant CAIs were screwed...including me.
How can I tell if Im ordering the new design or not?

Quick Reply: Anyone with Volant CAI and ram air scoop (5.3L)?