Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone with Volant CAI and ram air scoop (5.3L)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Volant with Ram Air and I'm very happy with it. I had a K&N FIPK before, and the performance feels the same FWIW. No install issues and great fitment with mine. If you click on my Cardomain site in my sig, there's pics of the unit installed.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB1, I installed a similar ram air setup on my stock air box. I ended up cutting a hole in the bottom of the box and the air box mounting plate. I then welding a pipe to the air box mounting plate that is long enough on both sides to enter the air box and attach a hose onto it.

I gained roughly 0.1 seconds in the 1/4 with this setup on a stock air box with the paper filter.

Pictures are HERE
Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
This is what I did for the most part. I used the Volant ram air tube fabbed into the stock bottom air box with the upd lid on top, mac perf. tube with their 90 degree elbow onto my p&p 80mm bbk tb. I noticed a lot on the big end.

James
do you have any pictures of your tube? i was thinking about replacing the upd tube. it looks like it could be restrictive where it makes that 90* turn at the throttle body.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Doesnt every intake have to make the 90* turn there though. Is there any way to get around that?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JB1
How can I tell if Im ordering the new design or not?
As long as you're not buying used (ebay, etc.) or from somebody's NOS (new old stock), I would imagine you'd automatically get the new design. I'm not sure, but I think the new design dropped the resonator tube or whatever that thing is called. I may be wrong about that though...haven't seen the new one.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
do you have any pictures of your tube? i was thinking about replacing the upd tube. it looks like it could be restrictive where it makes that 90* turn at the throttle body.
Well, no pics!!!!LOL!!! I don't have a digital camera!!! What is wrong with the tube??? What makes it so restrictive besides the 90*?? My tube also makes a 90* turn @ the tb. I think that if you could come up with some way to fab a straight through pipe with the maf inline, like a straight tube......theres no way that I can think of right off hand to make a straight tube without going through the radiator...LOL !!! **** even a 671-1471 blower with a hat on top of it still makes a 90* turn down to the carbs. Just about everything does.....the engine being horizontal and the air comming in is also horizontal(meaning coming across the car/truck), it seams that you would have to do something to make it go into the engine through the top. Hell....I don't know!!!!LOL!!

James
Old 06-14-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

haha, i know they all make that 90* turn...im just sayin how the upd tube dosent exactly make a smoothe transition around that 90* corner....it just makes a sharp L instead of a curved C if that makes any sense.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

It makes sense to me...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
haha, i know they all make that 90* turn...im just sayin how the upd tube dosent exactly make a smoothe transition around that 90* corner....it just makes a sharp L instead of a curved C if that makes any sense.
Oh, I see..the tube and elbow I used is the same one that anybody can ordered. I also thought that you were implying that the tube itself was restrictive alos along with the 90* elbow. I just ordered the elbow and the tube(Mac Performance). So it's probably the same set-up or close to that you have. And yes your statement makes sense. I just wanted you to know that I have what everybody else has or can oeder. I didn't want to mislead you in any way.

Thanks,

James
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
It makes sense to me...
Yes it makes sense to me also....I just didn't know if he was referring to his tube or the elbow also Mr. know it all !!!!!

But thank you for your valued insight....it was well needed.

James

Quick Reply: Anyone with Volant CAI and ram air scoop (5.3L)?