Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverado Street Machine
I know the Flowmasters won't sound like that, but I would buy one of these ATAK mufflers if I knew it would sound similar on a 5.3
You're going to have a hard time aceiving the same sound. The engine is different therefore the produced tones are different. Not to mention, the differences in pipe length.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right about that. I just can't find anything else to replicate it.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Corsa or Borla XR-1
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Dynomax VT that sounds close to what I think you're trying to achieve. No deep bass pulse to speak of at idle, but gets a nice growl (loud) at upper ranges. No drone, either.

Compared to a 40 series Flowmaster, I can say that I don't set off alarms in a parking garage at idle, no do I feel like I'm standing in front of a crowd suppression device.

Idle Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8dIZKnRPY&feature=youtu.be\

Last edited by Suburbazine; 01-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I have a Dynomax VT that sounds close to what I think you're trying to achieve. No deep bass pulse to speak of at idle, but gets a nice growl (loud) at upper ranges. No drone, either.

Compared to a 40 series Flowmaster, I can say that I don't set off alarms in a parking garage at idle, no do I feel like I'm standing in front of a crowd suppression device.

Idle Vid:
Dynomax VT Idle Tone - YouTube
That dynomax sounds how I want it at start up and idle, I watched a few other videos of it, but it isn't as loud as I'd like it to be.

I'm sort of leaning towards this: Corsa Sport Exhaust Clip on Silverado - YouTube

It's loud sounds great at start up but I can't seem to find just the muffler itself for sale, I'm only finding kits. I'll need to fabricate some kind of Y for the back of it so I can run my 2 pipes out.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is pretty hard to find the muffler only. Corsa will only sell them as a full catback so your only chance would be finding a good take out. Good luck
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oakley6575
It is pretty hard to find the muffler only. Corsa will only sell them as a full catback so your only chance would be finding a good take out. Good luck
Any idea where I'll be able to check for just the muffler? Perhaps a price too?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

eBay is the first place I would check. Other than that, I would search on google everyday.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Alright thanks a lot man, unless I can have someone else suggest something to me, that's probably what I'm going to have to do
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silverado Street Machine
That dynomax sounds how I want it at start up and idle, I watched a few other videos of it, but it isn't as loud as I'd like it to be.

I'm sort of leaning towards this: Corsa Sport Exhaust Clip on Silverado - YouTube

It's loud sounds great at start up but I can't seem to find just the muffler itself for sale, I'm only finding kits. I'll need to fabricate some kind of Y for the back of it so I can run my 2 pipes out.
The Dynomax is head-turning loud at WOT. No rumble, all scream (Almost, but not quite, like a Lamborghini). I'll get a full range video later today. I suspect my iPhone mic will start clipping before I reach WOT though.

The idle sound is also fairly loud, but I don't have access to a dB meter for an exact noise comparison.

Quick Reply: Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.